World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , haven't seen owt about a comp down here tonite ,but the beach is full of fishermen?????.
Just passed there picking up my grandaughter

·
Registered
208 Posts
Fished aberavon at 3am boxing day stayed till about 6am, had one flounder of just over 2.5lb and a few big dab. Had loads of knocks but was half asleep and missed most. I was using black lug and razor fish as bait. Bloody cold thou even had ice on the beach, but one big dab was hooked in the gut and made a nice bit of tea, nicer than that bloody turkey!!!!
Good luck tonight jury, enjoy the rain!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I fished the beach Monday and Tuesday night this week two hours before and an hour after. Not a sniff of a bite. It was blowing and raining a bit Monday night but Tuesday was a fairly clear and crisp evening. I was mackerel only so I do not know if there had any influence. In thae past mack sees to have at least attracted some bites.

Tuesady I was using a 170 0z beakway lead but the tide was pushing my line to the pier side of the beach on every cast which was really anoying.

Think I may give tomorrow morning a go with top tide at approx. 09:00 hrs. Any tips on rigs and bait would be appreciated. It's been a couple of sessions now sine I had a catch and that was a small whiting that went back.

Tight lines.......

l

·
Registered
58 Posts
Our club (Pontardawe Sea Angling Club) were out for a friendly nights fishing.

Not a lot caught only 5 Whiting weighed in I caught a double both over a 1lb but not on the nominated rod.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info , perhaps if you are having a open comp you could let us all know here ,I'm sure you will get a few of us down with you ,well at least me and Kelvin

tight lines Happy new year lads/lassies

·
Registered
129 Posts
Alright Lads,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and got at least a couple of bits of fishing equipment!!!!

Fished Jackstones Pier last nite..pretty quite all round apart from the usual dogs, couple of small whiting and pout. My mate started fishing from the steel works side (left as you walk up) but i was wondering if anyone has ever fished over there and has anyone ever caught owt???? Only small pout last nite....

Anyway, here's to more alcohol tonite..Have a good one all!!!
Pottsy

·
Registered
325 Posts
my mate and i decided to fish aberavon last night fished it up until top water two rods each ,black lug squid razor and mackerel not 1 bite between us we fished in front of some steps by an unfinished car park were we in the right place?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi doghop yes you were in the right place ,but the fish had decided to go elsewhere by the sound of it, Aberavon basically you can fish anywhere in the 3 miles.
I personally think it fishes better where you were,But I know Kelvin prefers the lifeboat side or the middle ground.
Further to the right of where you were is a cockle bed and that always seems a good area.

Happy new year

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi pottsy ,the left side you refer to , has no undertone in the water basically because the water is broke by the jack stones .
I have had very little success there.
As you look accross to the river just passed the new houses, there pretty comfortable fishing in the river on low water fairly productive in the Bass season

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Jury,

Yeah, it looks really bassy!!! Bet they come right in during the summer. I saw a couple of fella's fishing at the point over to the left last nte..not sure what action they had..
You been out over the Xmas period???? Any luck??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I havent my hands are bad at the mo restricting my movent so alas I have to rest them.

Happy new year m8t

M

·
0 Posts
Hi All,

Fished Aberavon this morning from 06:20 to 09:30 hrs. used small squid bait and not a sniff yet again. Where have all the fishies gone from Aberavon ????

I am trying mumbles this Sunday or Monday. Any body got any recommendations where the best marks are there, off the pier, from Knab Rock, Bracelet Bay etc.. and the best baits. I was thinking of taking squid and mackerel.

Happy New to you all....

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If you are fishing Swansea you really need worm of some description either lug or rag, tipped with squid, & high water in the dark is better than daytime tides.
Knab Rock is OK for a few whiting & dogs, but the tides are awfully small at the moment & the bigger the tides the better the Knab fishes.
Have a look at your map Pwll Ddu is a very steep shingle beach & should fish well, I used to fish it a lot when I was in better health, but its quite a walk from where you leave your car.
Drive to Southgate (Pennard) & walk either left or right from the car park until you find a convenient fishing platform, if you get there at low water you can see what you are fishing over, remembering that whiting like clean sand/mud cod like stones/weed, you pays your money & takes your chance.
Gower has some great fishing, & there is plenty of room but you do have to walk/climb to get the best out of it. Mumbles Pier can produce but it gets crowded, & closes when the fishing is at its best!
Go west young man, the Gower is your oyster, get walking!!!!! Or get a boat.
blueskip

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks Blueskip for the tips, much appreciated. I do like the Gower myself too but is a bit of a drive from Neath, especially for the early morning and late evenings tides. I did give three cliffs a go a few times during the summer trying for Bass but with no luck. It is really magic down there in the early morning.

Southgate (Pennard) is where you pass the Golf course on the right hand side on the way in ??? Then there is a touristy/trincket type shop, cafe & post office in the village opposite a car park ???? From memory it is quite a rocky steep cliff/vertical drop coast line there. Not for the faint hearted and not for accessing in the dark either I wouldn't think !!!!

Any experience of Swansea Beakwater, where the Cork Ferry puts in. I was there afew weeks ago with the family for a walk and it did seem very busy but not much appeared to be landed.

I am contemplating a small little fishing boat, not that I know much about boating yet, but she who must be obeyed wants a new kitchen in the spring !!! So first thing first, and I live in hope.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Mark

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
went to swansea(west pier) tonight, caught a few whiting and few pouting ( about 12 in all) and a couple of tidy flounder.

Overall good nite with the misses catchinmg mopr ethan me again :(

kelvin

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Kelvin,

Happy New Year M8. What was you using for bait and what type of rigs were you using also.

It looks like I could be there on Monday daytime high tide. Don't think it will be as productive as the night time tide though, but am going with a work mate who has not been fishing in donkeys years so need to show him, what little I know, in the day light.

Cheers M8
Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts