World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best of luck to everyone in the competition. Im off down aberavon sunday nite, 10 oclock till top and then a hour down. If anyone fancies it ill be fishing striaght out from francos.

Anyone got any tips. My plan is to catch a couple of small whiting and use them for live bait. Any tip on hooking the live bait on??? Also there will be a southly wind and and a 3.5 foot wave/swell so should be a bite of surf.

Anyone welcome.

kelvin

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Hi - my best shore caught cod from the Cardigan Bay coast was last winter on a livebait. This was 6.5lb, and from Tywyn, which is fairly good from our local coast. We don't get the same stamp of fish you see in the Bristol Channel!

Took it on a 6-inch long 5-bearded rockling top lip-hooked. These fish are pretty tough. Had the idea the night before when a 3/0 hook baited with black lug produced a crashing bite off a fish that let go in the surf, and I reeled in a 5BR with scoring all down its side, which had by some miracle taken in the hook! Went back the next night to deliberately get one and used it to effect (though it was a fair wait for the bite). You can always catch a few whiting while waiting for the other rod to start pogo-ing!

Cheers - John

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Kelvin,

Did you catch anything. I fished the breakwater Saturday afternoon but caught nowt, although I did get quite a few bites but nothing hooked. A few guys on the berakwater head caught whiting but mostly small ones.

Tight Lines........

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i fished aberavon last nite, only had 5 whitin but all about 1.54 pound mark. Run out of bait at about 1.15 ish. I only bought a small amount because i was after a small fish for live baiting(sods law).

Anyway i have come to the conclusion that aberavon is a low water mark so next time i fish it will be over low if you fancy it.

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I could be interested but it depends when and time. Week days are no good to me due to work committments.

Have you caught much at low water compared to high then. I caught two small Pollack a fortnight ago and a 2 lb Cod (it was definetly a Cod as it had that barbel thing under the mouth) three weeks ago all at high tide from the slip way near the Life Gaurds centre.

I am intending to be out there this coming Sat & Sun evenings (haven't decide which mark yet, i.e. Naval Club end , Franco's ,Slip way or breakwater), the tide is up at 18.45 pm ish and 19.30 pm ish.

Tight Lines.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
normaly the best method for catching cod on a live bait is to use a pen rig, with a small 1/0 hook as the first hook baited with a small worm bait and a larger 4/0 to 6/0 hook as the top unbaited, the best method of tieing this rig is to tie on the large hook as a single hook trace and add the smaller hook after using a small length of light mono. this works well as there is no chance in casting a live bait the distance needed at aberavon. hope this is of use to you and not teaching the granny to suck eggs, best of luck for the comp guys

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thansk for that rig, will try. As a follow on question, does the cod not come close in on aberavon becah. Any advise is most welcome.

ta kelvin

·
Registered
208 Posts
normaly on any shallow sandy beach the cod tend to be quite far out in the deeper gullys, this should be the case with aberavon. the best thing i can say is to walk the beach at low tide for features to cast too and also take acount of the shell fish you see washed up, after a big storm there is always loads of clams and razor fish washed up. are the cod eating these is the question?

·
Registered
208 Posts
just been speaking to a mate of mine and i have reports of codling being taken off the long arm pier at corus, so it looks good for the comp at aberavon. what a shame you can't fish the long arm after dark cos i think there would be some good size cod there. maybe i'll have a go after work for a few hours next week, i'll report back if i don't get caught!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Hi All,

Is there a Comp. at Aberavon beach this week end then. From the chat going on there sounds like there is. If there is who is organising, what day is it on, what time start and finish, where do you register.

Looks Cod be on the menu........

Tight lines

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info. on the Comp. next Wed. at Aberavon beach.

Just the browsed the web and there is another Comp. this Sat. the 13th at Aberavon beach too. It looks like it is organised by Neath Sea Angling Club, start at 11.00 hrs and finishes at 16.00 hrs. Strange that as I thought high tide was at about 18.00 ish. Oh well..........

Cheers

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can u please give a bit mor eon this competition, also what site did u get it off. Their must be fishing over lowe water, at last someone else sees the protental for teh low water fishing off aberavon

M

·
0 Posts
I found the web site by using Goggle search engine and typing in 'Aberavon Beach Fishing Competition' . The results list various web sites and I think the first is the site you want to click on, any way the site listings text is self explanatory.

I don't know how you register though as only an address is given, probably the guy who runs it, no phone No. I suppose turn up on the day and just ask about. The fee is £10.00.

The Comp. is titled 'Wheelers Welsh Open Cod Championship' and prize is given for heaviset Cod caught. If no Cod caught then heaviest fish (whatever the species I think).

Hope this helps

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts