World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

another newbie to the forum and to sea fishing, and in need of some advice! I have the basic tackle and am also ok with the whole principle of shock leaders. What I'm struggling with is actually catching something...anything.

I have been fishing between Aberdeen and Cove and catch NOTHING but do keep losing my tackle to the seabed. So my questions are: Is there a good all round rig type a beginner should be using? I have been sticking to 2-3 hook flappers as, to be honest, I really don't know when other types should be used, or under what situation they should be used - any avice on this would also be great

Is there anywhere along this stretch of coast that I won't keep losing my rigs/tackle? Is it worth considering North of Aberdeen and fishing the sandy beaches (and what rigs/gear should I use for this!?)

Are there other options to explore when shore fishing such as feathers, spinners, and what are jellies and can these used for shore fishing?

Finally, any advice from Aberdeen based fishermen would be great as to where to try and what works.

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
You get more response over in the Scotland section but here goes.
The area where you are fishing is snaggy, no doubt about it, and you will lose your tackle, but this is also where the fish are. Try using rotten bottom rigs to minimize your loses and fish one hook rigs like pulley rigs--the fewer bits to get snagged the less likely it will happen. You should also be trying to find the good spots to fish at any given mark. In this area this means that you need to find the gullies and fish into them. To do this you can try 2 things. First search these forms and other on-line sources for details of the specific rock marks and try to figure out where the hot spots are located. 2 go out a very low tides and note what the submerged geography is like.

You can certainly fish the sandy beaches to the north and there is some good flatty action to be had. You could also fish the rock marks for mackerel--try high tide with a spinner or some mackie feathers--this will get you some action.

Finally, while the gullies are producing some cod at this time of year wait until autumn and winter during and after a good easterly blow and get out there for the cod action; but be safe and go with someone who knows the score and get some good saftey gear. Almost every year someone gets washed into the sea in this area. Post in the Scotland section for someone to fish with I am sure you will get a few takers. Not only will you be much safer but there is nothing like going out with someone who has been fishing an area for years to get an instant bump in your success rate.

·
Registered
138 Posts
no problem. I generally fish to the south of you (Stonehaven area) but forgot to mention that jellies will indeed work--just not for me:doh::wallbash:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
That was a damm good answer newtosalt, going with an experienced fisherman is the best advice as you will learn much faster and have a fishing buddie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.