World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon, three of us decided on a change of scenery from Chesil last night and headed to Aberthaw for an overnighter and a shot at the hounds. Unfortunately the forecast was wrong, and the light showers proved to be continuous heavy rain, and the sub-10mph winds were well over that! So fishing was difficult to say the least. Fished over high water in front of the car park. Very difficult to get any distance on the casts, however I did manage to catch the conger eel in the pic attached from a short cast. Not sure of weight but it was about 3ft long. Any ideas, we estimated around 4lb?

Around 2am we walked the several hundred metres over the boulders and rock ledges down to the retreating tide to fish over low water. No luck there, only crabs, and we gave up chasing the tide and called it a day.

Difficult venue to fish, not sure we'll be back :)), but nice to try somewhere different all the same.

Best, Mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
nice one m8 you are right it is a difficult place to fish and the place you fished was the wrong side with these big tides you should have walked round the powerstation to the groines number 4 to six is the best place to be on windy high tides and low water springs you fish where you were on low neap and highs oh well never mind but at least you didn`t blank that has to be a bonus well done for braving the elements tight`uns

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info mate, useful if we do return at some point. We walked around towards the groynes and then down to the water inlets to fish the ebb. Not used to fishing such a fast retreating tide.

Yep, quite chuffed with the conger, largest one I've caught. Not the hounds we were after though, will have to continue my hunt. I hope to catch my first before the summer is out!

Any guestimate on the weight of that eel in my photo?

Cheers again for the response.

·
Registered
321 Posts
thanks for the info mate, useful if we do return at some point. We walked around towards the groynes and then down to the water inlets to fish the ebb. Not used to fishing such a fast retreating tide.

Yep, quite chuffed with the conger, largest one I've caught. Not the hounds we were after though, will have to continue my hunt. I hope to catch my first before the summer is out!

Any guestimate on the weight of that eel in my photo?

Cheers again for the response.
gotta be around the 4 - 5lb mark no more than mate nice though at least you didnt blank http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/calendar/month/1049.html theres a link for the tides around that area no need to add an hour keep it in your favourites incase you come again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts