World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going down aberthatw tommorow to have a go at the bass by the outlets, got some crabs in the freezer as well, might as well chuck them out there see if theres any early smoothounds about,

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
good luck pikeman
Please be aware though that its a bass nursery area so you should really return all bass even sizeable...but thats upto you and i won't preach.
only small tides mind may not uncover the outlets worth ago i suppose.

john

·
Registered
370 Posts
going down aberthatw tommorow to have a go at the bass by the outlets, got some crabs in the freezer as well, might as well chuck them out there see if theres any early smoothounds about,

how are you fishing for them
and let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
ive heard a lot about aberthaw as a hound mark one fish i have never caught from the shore is it a good mark when the hounds r in full flow

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Hi pikeman all the best on the bass mate but its abit early for the hounds mate try june time and small tides anything over a barry 13tide it dont fish much at all mate any thing bigger go to east aberthaw tight lines

·
Registered
96 Posts
We will definately be putting any fish back lazy hooker mate we VERY VERY rarely keep anything. And I doubt we are gonna catch anything anyway haha.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Catch anything lads ?
Sorry i forgot to do it. To be honest it was a bit of a cowboy job!(no change there!) we got down there at about 7 am, I had about 9 pints and 3 hours sleep the night before. we sat round for an hour for the outlets to come up, when they did come up they wernt on, so we jumped on top i fished on the bottom with some rearlly smelly crab and had nothing, and jimi tryed spinning and float fishing and had nothing! still too early for the hounds, and these crabs were smelling so bad the hounds would of swam in the opposit direction! anyone know why there was no water coming from the outlets?? there was no smoke coming from the chimney, so mabey they were doing maintanence?
will go back in a month or so with some decent crabs and hopefully some nice smoothounds!!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Every time i've gone down there the outlets have been pumping, i must just be lucky coz i've heard that they are not pumping all the time but like i said every time i've fished there, and when ive been coming back from ogmore,monknash etc, around low water theres always been water coming out of them:unsure:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we left at about 12ish, every time ive been there they have been on too, i was think about how they made them and put all the pipe work in, i bet that was a job and a half, any 1 got any ideas on how they would of constructed the outlets?? must of been on the biggest tides, you think they made them there of they pre made them and used cranes or ships, the mind boggles!! and **** knows how they made the dome!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
we left at about 12ish, every time ive been there they have been on too, i was think about how they made them and put all the pipe work in, i bet that was a job and a half, any 1 got any ideas on how they would of constructed the outlets?? must of been on the biggest tides, you think they made them there of they pre made them and used cranes or ships, the mind boggles!! and **** knows how they made the dome!!
Didnt see you mate m8, I got to the frog about just before 10

My guess is they used some sort of quick setting concrete, you can actually get concrete to set under water, its down to the heat I believe and is extremely difficult, nevertheless its still very impressive, whats more impressive is that despite the battering it gets, theres no noticeable damage or ersosion.

Ye the domes (the frog) were built for the first power station (demolished years ago), although smaller than the new outlets they are still impressive also.

Also there is the oil terminal about hundred yards out from the frog, thats an engineering feat in itself.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didnt see you mate m8, I got to the frog about just before 10

My guess is they used some sort of quick setting concrete, you can actually get concrete to set under water, its down to the heat I believe and is extremely difficult, nevertheless its still very impressive, whats more impressive is that despite the battering it gets, theres no noticeable damage or ersosion.

Ye the domes (the frog) were built for the first power station (demolished years ago), although smaller than the new outlets they are still impressive also.

Also there is the oil terminal about hundred yards out from the frog, thats an engineering feat in itself.
were you fishing?? at about 10 we were right behinde the outlet on the right to get out of that northly wind, me being a tit i thought i t would be warm so i only had shorts and a t-shirt!!! when you say the oil terminal you mean the big dome out at sea? i always tought thats where they sucked the water in??

·
Registered
965 Posts
were you fishing?? at about 10 we were right behinde the outlet on the right to get out of that northly wind, me being a tit i thought i t would be warm so i only had shorts and a t-shirt!!! when you say the oil terminal you mean the big dome out at sea? i always tought thats where they sucked the water in??
I was fishing the frog, its the two domes about 3/400yards from the outlets

Ye thats the oil terminal thats was built in case of shortage of coal, miners strikes etc

·
Registered
822 Posts
i went down aberthaw the other day, i fished right of the car park where the little bit of sand apprears, i kept getting snagged, pulling in what i beleave is a fish when its lumps of sea weed, bloody pain

could somone tell me where the outlets are?

thanks

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I was fishing the frog, its the two domes about 3/400yards from the outlets

Ye thats the oil terminal thats was built in case of shortage of coal, miners strikes etc
Thats the Caisson where they take the water into the plant. I've had several guided tours of the place and thats how its always been described, never any mention of oil. Why on earth would they store oil out at sea??? They have a massive reserve of coal near the plant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts