World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are boat fishing out of Aber on Sunday , weather permitting.

Any info on the bream and tope situation so far this year and do we need to take our own mackerel?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi gladyman hope you have a good one mate just had lok at the weather for you its gaveing you 6.00am sw winds 6mph till mid day turning wsw ones 8mph should be ok mate i am out of hobbs tomor tight lines
Cheers rockling, same to you, are you trying the banks for flatties?

·
Registered
936 Posts
no mate we will be on feathers all day what boat you going on mate i use a few up there tight lines
We are going with Dave Taylor aboard Aldebaren.....master filleter and key holder to "Tope city". Been stuck on shore for over a month and the anticipation of catching a real fish has kept me awake for nights.
Hope you have a good trip but its possible you will have abit more residual ground swell than us so look out for St Annes.
:blink: :yucky: :blink: :yucky:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hiya, looks ok for tomorrow. A few mackerel showing but not in any great numbers. Quite a few tope being caught and the bream have really only just started to show but again not in great numbers. Some nice huss and ray also being caught. Helen

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
We are boat fishing out of Aber on Sunday , weather permitting.

Any info on the bream and tope situation so far this year and do we need to take our own mackerel?

Thanks
I'm a bit out of touch regarding recent reports in Cardigan Bay but I would expect some tope and bream to be around now.

No need to take mackerel: instead bring squid, rag & cockle and try these for the bream. They usually outfish mackerel.

On the tope grounds, if you've not feathered any mackerel up, bait feathers up with squid etc, bottom-fish 'em and you should get some whiting and dabs. At this time of year these make deadly tope baits.

Have a good trip :)

John

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hiya, looks ok for tomorrow. A few mackerel showing but not in any great numbers. Quite a few tope being caught and the bream have really only just started to show but again not in great numbers. Some nice huss and ray also being caught. Helen

Thanks Helen .....it really helps to have local feedback. Best to take a few frozen mackies just incase this blow has sent them running. Hope the Bream haven't deserted the reefs as one Tope and one Bream will make me a happy boy:clap2: :clap2:
Will let you know how we get on.
:fishing: :fish: :fishing: :fish:

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
We are going with Dave Taylor aboard Aldebaren.....master filleter and key holder to "Tope city". Been stuck on shore for over a month and the anticipation of catching a real fish has kept me awake for nights.
Hope you have a good trip but its possible you will have abit more residual ground swell than us so look out for St Annes.
:blink: :yucky: :blink: :yucky:
Hi penner point just had that phone call the boat trip is off mate hope you have better look so it the shore now for me my bass mark its a 3am start look forward to your report hope you have your tope and bream tight lines

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did anyone get out off Aber on Sunday & if so was it any good??

Cheers - John
All the boats were out, the weather and wind were perfect.

Mackerel were scarce, we only had 3 jumbos all day, on the bottom with baited feathers. Same tactic for the plentiful small whiting which we used to augment the frozen mackie.

We ended up with 8 tope to 31 lb and dropped another 8 or so, and found some bream with a few goers but a lot on the small side.Plenty of doggies and a few nice huss up to 8/9 lb.

Dave the skipper of Aderbaran? likes you to flatten the barb on the tope hooks to minimise damage when unhooking, which is fine , but any ideas how to stop the doggies/ huss from removing the tope bait. So many times we retrieved to rebait only to find a bare hook.
You wonder how long ,in a days session , you are fishing with no bait?

I fully endorse the barbless ethic but would like to find a way to keep the bait on.

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts