World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..............and got round to refurbing my CJR aka Lil Doris.

Stripped her down, removed all windows, rubbers, stainless rails and the spongy deck.

The previous owner had painted her yellow which was flaking off so a change of colour was needed.

The deck was spongy in places so that had to be ripped up, which leads onto where am upto now.

I have used 95x38 timber for the ribs and stringers

Ribs are at 400mm centres

116mm guttering used for drainage between each section.

There is further work needed to be done to level them up etc but I needed to double check I was heading in the right direction before spending more time on them.

Before I plough on and start fibreglassing I would like peoples opinions on how I have it set up,

Is it sufficient?

Is it ok to use that size timbers?

Do I need to add more?

Some pics for you guys to tear into and hopefully ( fingers crossed ) I haven't done it wrong

Any advice welcome guys.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used cellotex on mine and fiberglassed over them to save weight, I would think that lot of wood weighs some... also add the weight of you deck to go on top.. hows the transom?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
i was trying to think of that foamy stuff jim glad you answered lol i also think the wood will be a weight issue i would use cellotex instead you have the templates in the wood you`ve cut so should be no problem lol

G

·
I too used cellotex on my boat as wood adds a lot of weight.

Easy way to mark it out is to use a wheel and a pen..

You get this..

Bond it down and top with ply..

Glass over it..

Hope that helps

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
the way you have the ribs fitted won't give much strength to the bottom of the hull where you have fitted the plastic gutter for drainage.

the timbers going front to back need to touch the hull and be level at the top and then be glassed over.

theres nothing wrong with using timber as long as its all glassed in properly so the timbers sealed.

also the timber adds weight which can be good but also bad.

the amount of timber you've added won't hurt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

The timber used is treated timber and I was planning on glassing it all in so no timber was exposed.

I was aware that the timbers needed to be level across the top for the deck to sit on, I wanted to be reassured that I was heading in the right direction before I spent more time doing them.

Garry, I will amend the timbers your referring to and post another pic, just to make sure that it's ok.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
That your treated timber looses its treated qualities the minute you put a saw or drill into it, so make sure you retreat with Cuprinol or similar before you glass it over:victory:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts