World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello folks , i am hoping to fish the abroath area the week o the 14th if the conditions are good.any advice on marks etc would be appreciated.anybody know a mark called red head apparently it is 4 miles north of abroath

thanks lads
will post a full report when i return

·
Registered
219 Posts
yes.....Red head is about 4 miles north of Arbroath. It does produce some good catches but the climb down is daunting to say the least - it's just so high. Just depends how much walking or climbing you are prepared to do. Some of the marks near Montrose a bit further up are much easier to fish. Marks such as the Usan area are easy walking and comfortable fishing. For the easiest fishing of all fish Arbroath harbour, usually good for a few fish and always the chance of something bigger or go to the prom and fish behind the club at high water, used to be called Bali's - not sure what its called now. Best bit is right on the bend where the bed rock meets the sand.

Hopes this helps a bit...........if you want more info on a specific mark - just give me a shout and I will try to be of help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks craig , i do a wee bit o hillwalkin/climbing as one o my other hobbies so hopefully red head shouldnt be a problem have u fished this mark yourself are the fish far out, i usually use big black lug that i get from a guy in barrow in furness these work well around dumfries will they do the trick at abroath, is it snaggy.

thanks again

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have fished the surrounding marks, just never fancied the climb back up from Red Head. The ground is fairly rough - some nice kelp beds to cast into. Your lug will work well around Arbroath, I usualy mix them with crab, mussel, razor and or squid. Fish can be found at all ranges but often at your feet. 12lb fish came from the harbour yesterday.........wouldn't mind one of them to end the season.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Strange question - who would verify the catch?

Although, it sounds like a good job, I'm up for it - £30K a year + expenses + company car please!

Where do I sign??:confused:

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
craig have you seen some reports from there
12 cod and no pics and someone else at same place 1 small cod and states no other angler caught or 1 or 2 caught.
Me if i blank i blank i do not care who knows i would not put in a false report.
i was at arbroath on sat not fishing at harbour and the guys only had 1 small fish between them all.
ps seen pic for 12lber good fish

·
Registered
219 Posts
If people want to lie about their catches, then thats up to them. I don't see the point in going to the bother of posting your results if it is not true. Shore fishing is like that now though........seems to be so competitive, you only have to look on the forums - there are far more people who read than contribute and there must be a few at least who could share some info. Its a mix of good and bad, some guys are open and sharing - to some everything is a secret, although we are all fishing the same marks with similar results.

I try to be as open as possible - I will say what area I was fishing, bait used, conditions etc.... but usualy wont give the exact mark. If I can help others then I will try to but I have to admit that I have been asked some questions that I wont answer. A guy asked me where exactly were you fishing when you caught the eight pounder? Fishing is about doing some of the leg work yourself.

Getting back to the 12lb fish it was a cracking cod - seen the pic on another site.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
craig i just tell people as
i don't bother to much because by the time they get there the run will be finished.
i have been getting great sea trout at the moment at the Tay apart from yesterday first time none of us caught 1.
My season so far has been far greater than the anglers heading for the cod unless there was south easterly then i would be there to.
Cod season has been crap but the sea trout season has been brill
trust richy to catch that cod must be the hairdo :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have to admit it hasn't been the best year but I have done not that bad. Had loads of small fish which can only be a good sign for years to come. Also had to feed more than my fair share of coalies. Had one good fish of eight pounds so no complaints this end either. Worst year ever for lack of east winds, must be due to kick in for the rest of summer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
pete
you had a no bad season m8 seen ur pics.
everytime i tried to get out working and when i got laid off wind was no good typical.
i always love fishing for sea trout though.
my biggest cod was 8lb from auchmittie a few year back from the shore i have had a few double figures from the boat .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts