World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Not sure I am posting in the right place, but does anyone have any views on the suitability of ABU 10000 as a blue shark fishing reel?
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hi,
Not sure I am posting in the right place, but does anyone have any views on the suitability of ABU 10000 as a blue shark fishing reel?
Thanks.
They say that the maximum sustained drag an angler can put on a rod is about 40lb's, so imagine they would work just fine?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Hi,
Thanks.
:laugh: I fished the Persian Gulf with a pair of 9000C's loaded with 18lb line, had loads of good fish but some spooled me and the drag washers wore out pretty quickly. :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
:laugh: I fished the Persian Gulf with a pair of 9000C's loaded with 18lb line, had loads of good fish but some spooled me and the drag washers wore out pretty quickly. :eek:hmy:
Big GT's?

I would think 18lb is quite light for that kind of thing, and probably prevents full drag, no? With 18lb, you probably only had 5lb drag?

Maximum drag on 9000 and 10000's are 20lb's, so probably better with US 60 Lb braid, at least.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Big GT's?

I would think 18lb is quite light for that kind of thing, and probably prevents full drag, no? With 18lb, you probably only had 5lb drag?

Maximum drag on 9000 and 10000's are 20lb's, so probably better with US 60 Lb braid, at least.
:laugh: Didn't have Dyneema braid in 1982, Dacron was the braid then, thicker than nylon, I think I had 8lb of drag set for the 20lb boat rod and 6lb of drag on the beach caster. My 50lb boat rod had wire, approx 60lb on a Daiwa 600H.
Had GT's, dorado, wahoo, snapper, sting rays, moray eels, barracuda, catfish and some unstoppables. Best 5 months fishing I've ever had at her majesty's expense. :laugh:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
:laugh: Didn't have Dyneema braid in 1982, Dacron was the braid then, thicker than nylon, I think I had 8lb of drag set for the 20lb boat rod and 6lb of drag on the beach caster. My 50lb boat rod had wire, approx 60lb on a Daiwa 600H.
Had GT's, dorado, wahoo, snapper, sting rays, moray eels, barracuda, catfish and some unstoppables. Best 5 months fishing I've ever had at her majesty's expense. :laugh:
Sounds just fantastic.
I have managed all on that list apart from GT and sting ray. The sea can keep the sting ray, but I long to catch a GT. One day.
Wahoo and dorado I class as two of the best fish I have eaten, I think. Unless it was the charcoal, sun and drink that just made them so good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts