World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think if i'm correct, it runs very fast with the momentum of a full large spoo,l large bait and no brakes, so heavy thumbing to control it. But the retrieve is great, used to use mine up the loch long pylons with 26 lb sylcast straight through and would empty the spool.
Let me know how you get on with the biggies. I was hoping to have been up before now but still on this contract - which is good.

·
Registered
21,656 Posts
cheers iain will try them.dug out my old 12 and have loaded it with 100lb braid for big flatties.
:clap2: IMHO I don't think the gears, frame or spool will take the pressure. I had 2 x 9000 C's and they were great with 20lb line but I wouldn't think they are any good for winching, great for playing a running fish with the 2 speed retrieve but lacking in grunt. :clap2:

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
hello m8 , i had my abu 12 done back in 83 bearings, you all so have to get the brake block holder for 9000c, as the abu 12 does not have one theres just a peice of plastic in there you cant put brake blocks on, give pete coogan a ring he will sort you out the abu surgeon on-07740306500 or 0151-6773609 jim:thumbs:

·
Registered
21,656 Posts
hello m8 , i had my abu 12 done back in 83 bearings, you all so have to get the brake block holder for 9000c, as the abu 12 does not have one theres just a peice of plastic in there you cant put brake blocks on, give pete coogan a ring he will sort you out the abu surgeon on-07740306500 or 0151-6773609 jim:thumbs:
:clap2: The ABU 12 is the cheap boat version of the 9000C, single speed with bronze bushes instead of bearings, I wouldn't think it's man enough to do what you want it to do, 30lb class tops. Try it by all means but probably end up with distorted frame and/or stripped gears. :clap2:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Me again, just checked my old 12. It has got roller bearings but there are a number of copper shims to stop the spool rubbing the side as there is no spool end float adjustment on the handle side - and it has got brakes, although they are in a nylon or plastic holder and outer ring. I vaguely remember converting back in the late 80s. Not sure if you fished the pylons but it was 80+ meters deep 50 meters out. The reel coped well, better than the 9000c as it didn't down shift to the lower gear when under heavy load.
Iain

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
:clap2: The ABU 12 is the cheap boat version of the 9000C, single speed with bronze bushes instead of bearings, I wouldn't think it's man enough to do what you want it to do, 30lb class tops. Try it by all means but probably end up with distorted frame and/or stripped gears. :clap2:
distorted frames not strong enough dont think so , travel to norway the locals use all the time, my m8 last year sold 2 x abu 12 to a guy in norway that says it all jim:nonono:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi Seery, did you fish the Firth of Clyde open matches in the 80s. Just wondering if our paths crossed back then. Quite a few of your countrymen used to teach us a few lessons back then - until we learned about the secret contents of your wicker food hampers.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Hi Seery, did you fish the Firth of Clyde open matches in the 80s. Just wondering if our paths crossed back then. Quite a few of your countrymen used to teach us a few lessons back then - until we learned about the secret contents of your wicker food hampers.
i did white horse whiskey many others going back to the seventies even , i fished the upper clyde lochs as much as pos , with some famous geordie anglers , all my pb came from holy loch good old days , we have better & balanced tackle now but not the fish , if i only had a time machine , i wonder if terry carroll could make me a zziplex time machine and go back with the tackle what we have now bloody brilliant , good days best days jim.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes, those were the good times, pothunter and myself were part of the Firth of Clyde then Clyde Specimen Hunters sea angling club in those days. Used to enjoy watching mr Stringer, Harvey, Gascoine ect, I presume you would have been part of that group. Anyway we still have our memories and photos to remind us before the dementia sets in.
Iain

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Yes, those were the good times, pothunter and myself were part of the Firth of Clyde then Clyde Specimen Hunters sea angling club in those days. Used to enjoy watching mr Stringer, Harvey, Gascoine ect, I presume you would have been part of that group. Anyway we still have our memories and photos to remind us before the dementia sets in.
Iain
hello iain are you from up that way ? i fished either the lew marsden alot , chris stringer , john bohill, few others jim:thumbs:

·
Registered
659 Posts
hello iain are you from up that way ? i either the lew marsden alot , chris stringer , john bohill, few others jim:thumbs:
Hi John,
I grew up there fishing the lochs and matches when it was worth while, I stopped fishing the matches when the catches at the end of the weighing in was dumped on the beach to rot as they were too small to be eaten. I think you guys stopped coming over about the same time.
I used to love fishing the clynder side of the narrows when you guys were there it was so competitive but also friendly. My club mates were some of the top scottish international anglers - Hugh Smith, pot hunter ( not sure if he wants his name published eh Ross :), etc and were on good terms with Chris and co. I was a bit younger and better looking than them by 10 years ( sorry Ross :) so they would not remember me but they all knew Hugh and Ross quite well.
Iain

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi iain dont know about better looking certainly more hair. those were the days low tide first light with a bucket of crab .coalies to 7lb and cod to 13lb all our yesterdays.as to the reel i think it will cope ok.i have seen skate caught using them out from ullapool many years ago just want to use braid for better line capacity.so idont get lined.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Haha, thought that might get a rise. Let me know how you get on. I will be up some time and depending on weather & driving conditions will pop up to say hello.
I've left my old newly refurbished heria pole (Going bros Mk 6 cougar) and some reels up at my parents place, so they may get an airing!!
Iain

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Hi John,
I grew up there fishing the lochs and matches when it was worth while, I stopped fishing the matches when the catches at the end of the weighing in was dumped on the beach to rot as they were too small to be eaten. I think you guys stopped coming over about the same time.
I used to love fishing the clynder side of the narrows when you guys were there it was so competitive but also friendly. My club mates were some of the top scottish international anglers - Hugh Smith, pot hunter ( not sure if he wants his name published eh Ross :), etc and were on good terms with Chris and co. I was a bit younger and better looking than them by 10 years ( sorry Ross :) so they would not remember me but they all knew Hugh and Ross quite well.
Iain
its a long way to travel to fish hertfordshire up to the clyde, i loved fishing a little lower than clynder is a place called 24 fathom mark at rosneath , some strange catches from there 12lb anglerfish jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.