1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I'm in the process of wanting to restore 3 iconic rods
Abu 464 zoom , 484 Atlantic & 484 Zoom , Which I've recently aquired
I currently use a 484 cork handle and a Hardy Tourney for everyday beech fishing and I must say it so pleasurable to use the rods and catch fish on them every time there out on the beech.
I've had the Hardy some 40 years I bought it new saving up doing paper rounds washing cars and dishes but I got it and my mate went out and bought a Abu 464
On the same day. ( I must admit the Abu was always that little bit more sensitive on bite indication and rock steady in the wind compared to my Hardy.
Anyway enough reminiscing....... I want to restore these rods 464, 484s
So im asking for some help here from you guys
Need to know what the rings / guides were called so I can try and find some or if anyone knows where I can get some from,close enough to be able to re ring the rods as they've got the originals missing and virtually have no rings/ guides left on them at all but the blanks are good
I'm also looking for the cotton wiping with the gold that was used on these rods
The 484 With the cork handle needs new reel holders plus the screw fitting real needs sorting as they are corroded and won't move.
Yes they are in a bad state of repair but I'm sure we can get these back to there best and have them on the beech again
When I use my 464 the amount of anglers that come up to me to say wow not seen one of those abu's for donkeys years can I have a cast with it please just makes me smile.
Iconic Rods YES but still awesome.
Am I old school yes but love it, nothing wrong with the new rods but just don't cut the mustard like these iconic rods and bring back happy memories of my youth
So please if you can help in any way that would be appreciated
Need to know guide names / style
Wiping colours
Or if there's any rod builders renovators out there that could do these for me to bring them back to there former original glory or help in anyway even better
Not looking to make money out of these but to renovate them and to use them
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I remember correctly these rods weigh a ton, but I guess that they will go on forever a bit like the older conoflex blanks, good luck with the restoration, maybe try Stan Massey

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Hi Mike , I did a rebuild on one a while back ..Not totally original , but acceptable.. I did not use High Build as Iwanted to keep the rod somewhere near Original, instead I used Blackfriar Yacht Varnish, gives a reasonable finish.

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/abu-484-rebuild.27808737/

Hope this helps, there is some info about the other Abu rod on the same link if you read on..

Dave

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Have a look on "guides and blanks" website Seymo make a decent replacement 484 guide and the sell prowrap thread that matches the original easy enough , the original 464 guides were ABU FLEX you will see Seymo do a wire flex guide but no where near as big as the originals might still be ok

1 - 5 of 5 Posts