World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 5600 and it has 3 ball bearings
Thank for that Dave!

Now a REALLY stupid question - what is the difference between a 5500 and 5600?

Sounds like this reel would be fine for bass and general light estuary/shore work?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The 5600 blackmax has a one peice cast aluminium cage and has a thumb bar spool release as Dave has already said ,however it is a far stronger design sits lower on the rod than a 5500c and has a different spool shape ,but the cage is a bit of a let down for our type of fishing i think you might struggle with 4oz and a wet spool as there is very little area to grip the spool due to how wide the casting is on the cage ,it can be rectified but does take a lot of work ,nice strong reel though not a bad choice for light bassing ABU have released some Blackmax reels in the USA that are called Blackmax but look like an ordinary 5000/6000 these are a budget range and do have bushes rather than bearings could possibly be one of these you have seen

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave and midas!

It sounds from the description that it really is a 5500:

Code:
'2007' Model Abu Garcia 5500 BLACK MAX The Original Multiplier

This item features the following;  aluminum frame and spool, push button line release, on/off spool click, 5.3:1 gear ratio,  instant anti- reverse AND OF COURSE Made in Sweden
push button & all.

30 notes sounds like a deal, would want to lose the leveline & the bushes(?).
I guess it's no big deal to convert tho.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Now i have seen the description it def looks like the new blackmax from the USA i told you about conversion bar should be around £10, bearings a couple of quid each although brass bushes can cast a surprisingly long way as proven on the tournament fields ,can,t really go wrong for £30 its basically a 5000/5500 they are all near enough the same now cosmetics apart they share most of the same bits ,buy one !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts