World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Does anyone know if the abu 5500 reel is good for beach fishing and rock fishing and also surf fishing.
any info would be great
cheers

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Just bought one on E-bay fist multi I've used for ages and I reely (ouch) like it I've only used it on a clean beach so far with a 10ft bass rod and it's been fine can't tell you what it's like with a big fish on coz I havn't caught one but it's dealt with a 4oz lead, 3 hook paternoster and 2 schoolies at a time no probs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Most reels will cope with fish, but it's that big thing that the lead or hook gets caught on that's the real problem.

If only I could remember what it's called.

Just remembered, it's called the BOTTOM.

Lots of rock anglers use 30lb line to break out of snags, kelp etc and a 5500 will not carry much of this size line.

Bob

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
With postage £31.99 bargain I thinkas it's only a couple of months old and in very good nick, it is also loaded with braid 14lb strain which means it holds a fair distance. No it won't hold a great deal of 30 lb line but then I don't think that's what it's designed for

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi. The Abu 5500 is a great size reel for bass and close range beach fishing although for distance work it does not hold enough line in the higher breaking strains (15lb+). For longer range fishing over cleanish ground the 6500 is a better bet. Neither of these reels is suitable for continuous rough ground hauling. Perhaps a good compromise would be a Daiwa SL20SH. Casts well and is virtually indestructible. A lot of guys like the Penn mags but I have no personal experience of these so can't comment. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i own a brand new penn mag and was just looking for something for the surf and clean beaches so i might get one
cheers lads youve been big help

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Won it some bugger bid me up another 7 quid although £42 inc postage still seems pretty good I'll let you know how it is when I get it wet :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts