World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between the Abu 6000 and 6500? they both seem to have the same capacity

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
500 heheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
blueskip

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
paid4tackledealersroller said:
What's the difference between the Abu 6000 and 6500? they both seem to have the same capacity
Good question - I picked a basically brand new Abu 6000 quite cheaply on ebay a few months ago to use as a spare in case anyone else fancied coming fishing occassionally. It appears to be exactly the same as my 6500 with the same line capacity (14lb/245 yd) and gear ratio (5.3:1) and features such as star drag, line out alarm and level wind. The only difference I can see is that one, the 6000 is red (all the 6000s I've seen are red) and the other one, the 6500 is silver. Also the 6000 has got "Made in Sweden" clearly stamped into the side plate so it appears it's not a cheaper version manufactured in China or somewhere. I haven't got the reel with me at the moment and can't remember for sure whether it's a C3 or a C4. I think it's a C3 but this really doesn't make any difference as the 6500s are found both in C3 and C4 versions.

Also I can find no mention of a 6000 reel in either the C3 of C4 sections of the Abu Garcia web site. I'd also be interested in finding out the difference if there is any.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Skip I asked for that :D and thanks Lucky I couldn't find anything either and as I've now bought a 6000 just wanted to know as a matter of interest

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Hi paid4tackledealersroller - you got me thinking about this one mate so I did a bit of digging round on the Internet and think I may have figured out the difference. I remembered now that the 6000 was designated C rather than C3 and C4 and this got me thinking about the bearings which is what those designations refer to. It seems that the Abu 6000C has outboard bearings located in the end caps while the Abu 6500C3 has inboard bearings located in the spool. I think each reel may also use different size bearings too. In all other aspects the 6000C appears to be exactly the same as the 6500C3.

I get the impression that the 6000C has been a pretty highly regarded reel in the States for many years (you see an awful lot of them on US ebay - some old - some new) and possibly Abu were just reluctant to phase that particular model out because of its popularity when they introduced new model reels on to the market with the new bearing setup and so just continued to upgrade it over the years but I'm just guessing here. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on why Abu seems to continued to produce two reels that for all intensive purposes were the same.

I'm sure I'm correct about the bearing setup being different though.

Hope you enjoy the new reel mate.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that so really there is no difference now lets see if it actually catches fish? :)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it did-in fact 3 fish unfortunatly only schoolies to about 1/2lb but it's a lovely bit of kit and I know I'm going to enjoy using it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lets see if I can throw some light on this for you fellas.

Firstly, The 6000 is neither a "C" or "C3" rated reel.Its a model all on its own.

The only reason I can think of that its still produced, is the fact that its a tradition.

ABU started with the 6000 years ago and have continued the reel for that reason alone.

As for the differences, it does not have infinate anti reverse,has one ball bearing and one bronze bush in the spool.

It also doesnt have a support bearing on the handle shaft, just a bush.

The gearing,spool capacity,levelwind and frame dimensions are the same as the 6500 series.

Its a slightly cheaper reel than its couzins but just as well built.

hope this explains a few things

Doc

·
Registered
767 Posts
i have been using the abu 6500c for around 18 years now, and have caught many a good fish, but the level wind is now temperamental, i use this reel as a backup for when i am fishing and fancy some feathering for mackies or jelly worm for pollack.

great reel and would like to buy another if they still make em like they used to do.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Doc.............now about my back..............can I have a word in private?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Thanks Doc - one reason that they may still continue to produce that 6000 reel is that it seems to still be an established favourite amongst US catfishermen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts