World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Phone Spotty Dog Tackle in Stockton, I am sure they were doing the 6500C3CT Sportsmag (blue with the magnetic brakes) for around £75. This is a much better reel than the Green 6500CT as the magnetic breaking system on it is superior.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Phone Spotty Dog Tackle in Stockton, I am sure they were doing the 6500C3CT Sportsmag (blue with the magnetic brakes) for around £75. This is a much better reel than the Green 6500CT as the magnetic breaking system on it is superior.
Sports mag is crap! I have one. The mag adjuster snapped on mine as it is the earlier model with the plastic mag adjuster and the newer model maetal adjuster gets jammed up with sand and grit.

http://www.spottydogtackle.com/

£109.99 for a sport mag from them.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Why not just buy a Daiwa 7HT which is only £69.99, the new Daiwa 7HT Turbo £119.99 or a Penn 525 Supermag £124.99? These reels are equally as good if not better, if anything i would say they were more hard wearing. One word of advice if you do go for the 7HT buy the Abu 6500 power handle for it, it makes winding in a lot more easier than with the smaller fiddley Daiwa handle.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The sportsmag is a totally inferior reel compared to the mag elite. I have a sportsmag and now wish I had never wasted my money on it, complete crap :fish:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
THE SPORTS MAGS are poo as the muck gets in the mag ajuster and then it jams
if you must go with a 6500 ABU you want a 6500c3 mag elite the green one it cheaper than the ginner one same workings...

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
The magnetic braking system is identical! Only the method of adjusting it is different. ;)

·
Banned
56 Posts
To be honest i prefer the non mag elite (old one )

much smoother IMHO :)

i like mag reels but the abus i prefer the good old centrifugal (sp? system)

·
Registered
809 Posts
posted this on a thread about sports mags last week, thought it might be relevant. The green or orange mag elites are far superior to the sportsmags.

On sportsmags the big nylon cog on the LHS of the spool drastically cuts down on distance and also unbalances the spool, get a brass bullet to replace it. Also as previously mentioned, sand gets under the mag adjuster ring which is a real pain. The biggest reason that I got rid of mine and switched to mag elites though, is that if you are right handed and cast with the reel down the butt, as you bring the cast around, your grip on the rod/reel ( the span between index finger and thumb) can actually move the ring and inadvertantly back off the mags mid cast resulting in no end of crack offs.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have the power handle on my Sport mag which it came with and I also have the 525 super mag, the sport mag is nowhere near as powerful as the super mag on retreive but the sport mag is that little bit nicer to cast.

I will be getting a Mag Elite from Gerrys at that price and will order it tomorrow if Poingdestres won't do a price match. Better for me to go to Poingdestres as they are two minutes from my front door!

I would prefer another 525 but can't afford one when the Abu is that cheap. I would stay clear of the 7HT seeing as I can't cast them without nesting. The mags on the Abu make it alot easier to control when casting.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Think i might go for the one at Gerrys, but need to know a bit more about them first. I know they are good reels but need Reassuring how good
If made in Sweden then Bluddy Good!

Just remember that the "spare" brake blocks in the poly bag are THE brake blocks as none are fitted in place at the factory.

Are the Gerrys ones made in Sweden or China.

A recent Veals ad for Abus stated something to the effect of "genuine Swedish components".
It didnt state country of assembly though!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have dealt with gerrys for ages and the service they give is faultless IMO. I have just ordered one myself this afternoon at that price, purely for casting. Abu 6500ct mag elite for less than £70 !! some idiots pay more for scruffy s/hand ones on flea bay

1 - 20 of 24 Posts