World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got one of the newer ones, v-shaped spools, would like some help.

it runs fine, but seemed a little slow, i never owned a abu before ( used to a penn 525 mag ).
guided by picture of the older model i remove 3 of the six brake blocks, at least that what i think they are ( plastic things near one spool end ) and oiled the bearings.

i always put my penn into gear and spin the spool, then put it into free spool to see if every thing is running fine. how do i do this with the abu?

there also seem to be 4 magnets, and they seem to slow the spool do quite a bit, i've left them in for the minute, but am tempted to take one or two out? is this complicated, what the best way to go about it?

what kind of bearings are in it?

the reel is for fishing mainly but also a bit of casting practise, so would like a fair bit of control if i need it.

thanks

all advice welcomed!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
You can free spool the abu, although the speed doesnt indicate how they will be in the cast IMHO. My penn 525 trundles round like that but flies on the cast! With the abu you can use any number of the blocks by clicking them in and out of position. Leave the magnets for sure, would you dream of taking one out of the penn! Yikes

Best advice would be 2 blocks and full mags and a few casts, easing of both blocks and mags until it casts right for you.

Matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can free spool the abu, although the speed doesnt indicate how they will be in the cast IMHO. My penn 525 trundles round like that but flies on the cast! With the abu you can use any number of the blocks by clicking them in and out of position. Leave the magnets for sure, would you dream of taking one out of the penn! Yikes

Best advice would be 2 blocks and full mags and a few casts, easing of both blocks and mags until it casts right for you.

Matt
thanks,

actually just removed one and it runs a fair bit faster. my penn goes like stink when i take the mags off fully and free spool it, but just thinking about what you said the spool in the abu surprisingly light! maybe thats it, i'll put the magnet back in, but ya i would NOT take one out of my penn:black_eye

I can spin it and “push” the lever into free spool, but the gears make a bit of a racket, and i have to hold it for about a second or it will hop back into gear. Is there a better way, or it that fine?

do i just pull the brake blocks along the black fingers to engage them? no twisting ...ect involved?

i take it the little dial on the left had side of the reel is the break block setting? if so, mechanically how does it work?

thanks again!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Do you fish with the mags off on a 525? Mine are too fast for anything less than 8 on the mag setting.

I push in the metal lever, then spin the spool rather than using the handle but 6 of one to be honest.

The blocks are pulled 'out' on the spindle to work, and are pushed in and 'click' to be off, if that makes sense. No twisting required.

The dial is pushed forward for mag brakes off (as it would sit on the rod) and pulled back to increase the mag braking. Mine doesnt have a dial which is a pain.

Hope that makes sense. Matt

·
Registered
649 Posts
My 2p worth:

If your casting is half decent you won't need any brake blocks at all, as the reel is a pussy cat with 4 mags alone and standard oil. If you're used to the agricultural Penn 525, you'll find this reel a doddle to handle. ;-)
The 6500 mag is a distance beach reel, why hamper it with over braking, it's like driving a ferrari with the hand brake on.

Start with the mags on full and knock it off a bit as you gain confidence.

Job Jobbed.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I agree with OK it works very well without any break blocks. Some people take out the whole break block assembly to speed it up. I've got mine running on no blocks and 3 magnets and the mags about 1/5 on and it works a treat.

If you want it to run even faster then take more magnets out, lighter oil and last resort take out the ratchet but that defeats the aboject of the reel in my eyes.

I love my high speed, enjoy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with OK it works very well without any break blocks. Some people take out the whole break block assembly to speed it up. I've got mine running on no blocks and 3 magnets and the mags about 1/5 on and it works a treat.

If you want it to run even faster then take more magnets out, lighter oil and last resort take out the ratchet but that defeats the aboject of the reel in my eyes.

I love my high speed, enjoy it.
ya seems like a very nice reel( bit of a looker too:laugh: ), can't wait to give it a go. do you use yours for casting? seems a lot of tinkering, as i said before, i have a penn 525 mag and have done noting to alter it other than re-oil when it needs it and find it a joy to cast/fish with.

i'll have to cast it to see what its like, i took out all but two break block, and put the magnet i took out back in.

i have a penn 525 mag and 525 mag xtra, if any1 has used both, cares to comment on the two. obvious the abu does have the grunt the 525 have, but as a casting reel comparison?

thanks again

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a pair of 525 Mag Xtras, never use the magnets, I just wind them off as far as they will go. I also fitted the ceramic bearings, which I oil with a couple of drops of sewing machine oil. I don't stint myself when it comes to casting, and they don't give any trouble. BUT I only fill the spool to about 3-4 mm from the top. Makes it easier to grip. My only criticism - the reels and between 4 and 6 ozs too heavy for comfort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, forgot to ask

whats the function the dial around the spool tention knob on the left of the reel. some kind of marker?

and how do the "mechanical breaks" work it's seem to be somthing to do with the spool tention knobs on either side of the reel?

·
Registered
649 Posts
oh, forgot to ask

whats the function the dial around the spool tention knob on the left of the reel. some kind of marker?

and how do the "mechanical breaks" work it's seem to be somthing to do with the spool tention knobs on either side of the reel?
The dial/knob is for spool centring, don't use it as a brake.

there's another knob on the other side (with no dial), centre the spool so it's even in the cage and make sure there's a tiny amount of side to side play in the spool.

This can be felt by disengaging and gripping spool with your thumb and waggling from side to side. There should be a very small amount of play.

Ignore the instructions about it being a mechanical brake, that's for light weight salmon lures, not 150g lead weights. ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dial/knob is for spool centring, don't use it as a brake.

there's another knob on the other side (with no dial), centre the spool so it's even in the cage and make sure there's a tiny amount of side to side play in the spool.

This can be felt by disengaging and gripping spool with your thumb and waggling from side to side. There should be a very small amount of play.

Ignore the instructions about it being a mechanical brake, that's for light weight salmon lures, not 150g lead weights. ;-)
thanks

i compared the abu to my penn 525 xtra, and the penn seem to be smother? i was expecting it to be faster if not a bit too fast.

with mags off on both and just flicking the spool with my thumb the penn spun faster and longer. i has no break blocks on abu. with the mags on full the abu spoon for a little longer then the penn but not much. both were loaded with line and oiled with red rocket fuel. The penn spins for 45+ when spun in gear and knock into free spool the abu 15seconds maybe 20. i was expecting the abu to spin for longer. i have seen footage of abu 6500 spinning for 2 mins plus easily.

also the spool float on the penn seemed to be much smother, it spins and after it stops it rolls back a few mil. the abu just stops. the bearings sound different, i think there steel not ceramic? do you guy use the factory bearings still?

to get a abu to spin for 2 mins plus, are these reels lubed up on tournement oil, have no block, and less mags?

i was surprised by the lack of spin out of the box, but though that oiling the bearings and putting line on would sort that out. what kind of performance should i expect out of the box with red rocket fuel in the bearings and a spool almost full of line?

it's just not what i was expecting, i'll be out of the next day or two to cast, so i'll know more then, but i would have expected the abu to be a smother faster reel that the penn.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I tend to centre the spool when its disengaged because if you centre it with the spool engaged it moves over towards the handle side when you disengage. :eek:hmy:

2 cents

PS. I doubt that those 2 minit spin jobs would keep doing it for long in a real fishing scenario.
Impessive tho, Ive seen 'em on youtube too.
I notice that they're always spooled up with line.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just a point about the brake blocks. When I got my high speed I turned all the brake blocks off. I noticed last weekend that the reel wasn't spinning as quick as it should and took apart to inspect and clean etc, and found that some of the brake blocks had reset in the on position. I've now removed them completely and it spins as I want it to now!!!

I set the magnets to what would be 3 or 4 on the calibrated 6500 CT, i.e. quite close to the top, and if there is a strong wind blowing towards the shore I turn magnets off completely.

S

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a point about the brake blocks. When I got my high speed I turned all the brake blocks off. I noticed last weekend that the reel wasn't spinning as quick as it should and took apart to inspect and clean etc, and found that some of the brake blocks had reset in the on position. I've now removed them completely and it spins as I want it to now!!!

I set the magnets to what would be 3 or 4 on the calibrated 6500 CT, i.e. quite close to the top, and if there is a strong wind blowing towards the shore I turn magnets off completely.

S
:drunk: spot on!!

i took all the break blocks out, and it spins a treat! with mags off its too fast to cast with in any fishing situation with them on full i have it slower than i probably would every regularly use. it spins really smooth as well.

just out of interest, anyone know what type of bearings are in it, ie factory?

thanks for the advice:punk:

·
Registered
649 Posts
the bearings are abec 3's I think.

they are more than good enough, don't waste your money buying ceramics etc

Go out and play with your new toy, it'll give you confidence. Don't get bogged down with the technicalities for now, just use it, it's more fun in the long run ;-)

The reel should be bob on now, try taking a magnet out at a later date. (this can be tricky the first few times) You can also use thinner oil in the bearings if it's still going too slow, this is where the trouble can start.

If you're gonna mess with the magnets, the polarity needs to be checked also, see it starts to get messy.

Just enjoy it for a bit before you tinker is my advice mate. :drunk:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
mark one side of the mags when you take them out and note down where they came from.

The HS will never run as fast as a normal 6500 CT as it has a ratchet. 15-20secs is ideal for all fishing situations anyway. I use mine for fishing and cast off the ground. I also use it when practice casting as I want to practice with reels I fish with.

I have got a sports mag too which runs faster as it doesn't have a ratchet and I like that too, very smooth running and better corrosion resistance than the HS which needs good cleaning & drying after every use. i got soem pitting on mine after not cleaning it once and filled the holes in with super glue, job done.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tom Parker is right, the ordinary 6500 without ratchet does spool up quicker. I got the Hi Speed for the retrieve speed and use alongside a 6500CT on a primo sychro which I wallop out as far as I can if needed. The high speed I use for just behind the breakers (caught 7 bass last weekend at less than 40 yards) or give it some extra thwacking (that's a Yorkshire technical term!) out to over 100 metres if needed..........don't be put off by the ratchet, the high speed still sings extremely well at distance!!

As said by TP, keep practising the cast. It's fun and will improve your distances and technique. All came together a few weeks for me when I decided to relax in my OTG cast (after two beers!)...........and it went out so far I could see the spool just below a few windings of line.........what a feeling that was! Have slowed everything down since and achieved some better distances!!

Tight lines, and enjoy the high speed, it's a very good reel!

S

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Runnerman - re casting that is exactly what I found! A few sessions ago I was on the beach and stuck on a plain lead and laid it out and did I nice and relaxed OTG and emptied the spool, had to stop it from loosing all my line! Measured the line and it was 160m on there (not full to the brim). Now filled it up and looking forward to the day I can empty that! I was using a Greys GRX-S and the HS.

I reckon it would go 200m in the right hands. Don't use it as a crank when reeling in, use the rod to pump and wind and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you get the arc just right, for the loading of the spool and the rod loading then you'll go miles with a moderate cast and almost no brakes/mags.

Then you'll give it some welly and not go as far....and risk a nest...

casting really is an artform searching for perfection, which is why some find it so addictive, like the perfect golf swing maybe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts