World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, ive been fisshing for best part of 20 yrs. Ive always swore by f/s but have decided to change to multiplier. I have just bought a green abu 6500 mag elite off ebay for £28, The reel is great to use but the body work is in s**t state. Would i be able to buy a replacement pair of end caps to replace the existing ones and are they easy to change over. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers lads

·
Registered
114 Posts
Plenty of end caps come up on Ebay,

you have to take a bit of care locating the mag adjuster when changing the mag side endcap, but with a bit of perseverence it is
do-able

Perhaps someone will post the correct method of doing it.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Side plates ... end caps are what most people call the little chrome jobbies at each end.

And yes easy to swap ... if your going to keep the reel in good nick for any length of time learning to strip down and service an elite is something to be learned ASAP ... not that they are difficult.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
not that they are difficult.
They are the first time...well, they are if you have issues with that little metal spring type bit from the mag housing!

What Blakdog says is right though, they're a doddle. I take mine apart routinely, regrease the bits that need grease, reoil the rest and make sure they're all nice and shiney. Well, I used to. They lasted several years with no damage at all, then I got lazy and are now pitted.

Firstly the pitting makes no difference to how they perform. If you're not bothered by how they look then leave as is. If you are then they're easy to change, but make sure you look after them or you'll end up in the same position again.

They're cracking reels, but if totally abused they will show it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lads for all the advice lads, i`ll get it apart and have a gander at it, cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts