World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my reel about 2 weeks ago and have used it a number of times. First out of the box i discarded the 6 brake blocks as i see these as a waste of time. Adjisted the centre knob on the handle side until the spool ran for 15 seconds with the magnets off and that was it. In use i use very little of the magnetic braking and have to say this is a very smooth and well made reel. Can hardly hear the gears when reeling in and casting is a joy. If a power handle is available i think i would get one as there is no adjustment to the standard one and think this would be an advantage. Nit picking really though as it is difficult to fault.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yep, kind of agree, had a couple of casts with one at the weekend attached to a zziplex profile; it was straight out of the box and just needed the spool tightening up slightly, otherwise it was standard and brake blocks still in there, (magnets not on)must have reached 180 -200 off a slopping beach with 20lb Daiwa tournament and a 4oz weight.

I cannot say that I was impressed with the extra high gearing as it is not that much quicker over the the older 6500 series which are (I think 5.3-1)
but the reel did impress me with its smoothness.
Just a short impression but it did seem to be a better reel than my Florida Orange so I will probably get one.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Is that the red one Bob? I have looked at them both and was impressed, thinking about buying one later on this year. I prefer the new colours, but the thing i was most interested in was the 6.2:1 hi-speed gear ratio. How does it compare to your green 6500 Mag Elite? I would not replace my 6500 mag elite or sportsmag, but i was thinking that one of the new ones would be a good addition and look superb on my Tip Tornado! :)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is the red one Iain, it is like the originals. Looks the dogs doodahs and if i could get a power handle, might use it almost all the time. The gear ratio makes for me, a world of difference to my Green Mag Elite but after using Supermags for some time,the smoothness of this reel is a joy. I can cast much further too.

Is that the red one Bob? I have looked at them both and was impressed, thinking about buying one later on this year. I prefer the new colours, but the thing i was most interested in was the 6.2:1 hi-speed gear ratio. How does it compare to your green 6500 Mag Elite? I would not replace my 6500 mag elite or sportsmag, but i was thinking that one of the new ones would be a good addition and look superb on my Tip Tornado! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts