World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently bought a second hand 6500 high speed mint condition but it seems very noisy wen reeling in is this normal or have i been done any help would b greatly recieved:crazy:

·
Registered
89 Posts
recently bought a second hand 6500 high speed mint condition but it seems very noisy wen reeling in is this normal or have i been done any help would b greatly recieved:crazy:
probs just some dirt around the spool mate, take the side plate off to take the spool out and give it a wipe down with a clean cloth and put it back together, the noise should then be gone

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if its a grinding sorta noise,, the gearing is most likely worn!:g::g:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The reels should be silent ,the only moving parts on retrive are the bearing and gears i would guess the noise is down to worn gears ,i think and said when they first came out that the gears would cause problems 5.3-1 was about as fast as ABU could go on a beach reel of this size when as lots of people tend to do with the big handle use it as a winch.Having faster gearing than this makes the pinion too small so making it weaker for what most anglers put there reels through,hence the high speed model is the most popular reel of the new range to pop up on ebay ,people have had problems and tend to get rid quick ive only seen one of the new chrome mags appear but loads of the high speed ones "only used a few times looks like new" why would so many people spend so much to get rid so soon .However a new set of gears won,t cost a fortune and i guess you could easily swap back to the 5-3.1 set that realistically isn,t that much slower in the real world

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The reels should be silent ,the only moving parts on retrive are the bearing and gears i would guess the noise is down to worn gears
I would have thought the handle, mainshaft, drag stack and spool also rotate on the retrieve along with the main and pinion gears.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I would have thought the handle, mainshaft, drag stack and spool also rotate on the retrieve along with the main and pinion gears.
Quite right but, i would have thought a noisy handle would be obvious if it was at fault ,the mainshaft does revolve but ive never heard a noisy one yet and cannot imagine how it would make a noise ,the drag shaft is clamped down by the starwheel onto the mainshaft so that again shouldn,t make any noise unless a fish is taking line ,so that leaves the gears and bearings which i would guess are the culprit

·
Mullet Meister???
6,756 Posts
Ive got a funny noise coming from my high speed aswell when reeling in. Its coming from the mag side plate, not the gearing side. Sounds more like vibration, smooth as when casting, just retrieve.

Has anyone replaced the white cog with a brass spacer as thats what ive done and i think it might have something to do with that?

·
Registered
934 Posts
the abu 6500 high speed,s are rubbish i had one since christmas until about 2 months ago where it broke in a few places, i only used it for light fishing, ive heard of so many being sent back, would'nt buy another, stick to penns and daiwa's

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Another one, mine went like that (got it replaced), my mates is doing it now. I had only used mine 2 or 3 times on pwllheli (clean) beach!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts