World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide whether to go for either a scecondhand 6500 CT or a new SL30SH as they are both about the same price, I normally fish clean beaches so I need a bit of distance but I would like to be able to do some rough ground fishing - what I'm wondering is will I still be able to reach a good distance with the SL30SH or SL20SH using about 20lbish line or would I be able to use the 6500on some roughish ground?
thanks Stuart

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Depending on how rough you want to treat your tackle you can fish with almost anything on any mark. I used to use my 6500 C3 CT over rough kelp and rocks and it coped with it although not really ideal as it doesnt have the winching power.

Maybe a better inbetween reel would be the 525 or sl20sh, i think these also have a better capacity than the 6500.

Its really down to how much you want to bully the fish over the rough stuff, but the 6500 will work if you want it to.

The sl30sh is a good reel but more suited to short casting over the roughest ground. Might take the fun away from the clean ground fishing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice having now looked into it a bit more I am wondering about the SL20SHV as a kind of compromise between distance and strength over rough ground as long as the capacity is it up to it. thanks again

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Get a Penn 525 mag! IMHO i think that will suit you best. It does long distance on clean beaches, plus will also cast enough 30lb line on really rough ground. i have a few 525mags, and gs and would not be without them. They are the ideal all terain reel and will handle anything you can throw at them. You should get a really good second hand one for around £55-70, steer clear of eBay though as they do get some rough ones on there.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The sloshes take a bit more tuning to get things right than the abu's. They are usually underfilled for distance - down to the same diameter as a 6500. They are generally regarded as much stronger reels though.
If you google reel tuning for uk sites you will find info on tuning daiwa reels.

John

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have an sl20sh and put it easily around 120 yards but Ive seen the sl30sh cast around 170 + yards with 18lb line and a short drop pendulum with a medium sized bait.

Though as people have sait it takes a bit more tuning to get the sloshes right.

Depends on the money you want to spend though.

The sl20sh is a bargain considering how strong and reliable they are.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i own both a sl20sh (recent) and two mag elites, the mag elites cast amazing, and the slosh isn't far behind, if you plan on fishing rough, or for bigger fish, then i'd say the slosh 20, can't comment on the 30.

slosh vs 525 ? have to admit, having used both, i prefer the slosh.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The biggest argument in the history of mankind has been re-opened again! Is the Penn 525 better than the Daiwa SL20SH? I think you have opened up a big can of worms there crazyplums!

My vote goes to the Penn 525 Mag Xtra (although here the Supermag is even better!)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
got slosh 20 and 30 both great reels 20/50 engine oil in bearings small brake blocks touch of sideplay on spools and they are fine 30 can be a bit of a handfull with lighter lines tho but 35lb streight through no prob on the 20 i use 20lb again no prob at the price they are selling for now a bargain cant comment on 525
abu 6500 dont feel near as strong as the sloshes but seem to do the job for a lot of people hope this has been of some help dai

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Slosh 20 best fishing reel out there - just happens to be the cheapest too!

Highly recommended, cast well, last well and get your gear and fish back better than anything else.

525 mag - expensive, temperamental and slower retrieve.
6500 - cast well but thats it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts