World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents,

I am looking to replace my ageing 6500cs rocket after many years.

I fish clean ground as a rule ,and am not a tournament/pendulum caster, more of a slight swing or off the ground style !!

Should I go for another Abu or the Daiwa ?

Is there much difference in them ?

Thanks in advance for the help deciding :wacko:

Andy.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
7HT.

More robust, more reliable, casts just as far.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Tough one, 7HT Mag was the worst reel Daiwa made IMO... never bothered to sort out all the issues they had with it either which makes you wonder why? The Turbo is rated as the best Daiwa Reel if you can find some or the old black n gold does the job still (Personally can't deal with the little handles). Then you have the Abu Rockets, your older Rockets are far better made again so I'd find a mint pair of them if possible or I'd go for the akios shuttles, but they are heavier!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Tough one, 7HT Mag was the worst reel Daiwa made IMO... never bothered to sort out all the issues they had with it either which makes you wonder why? The Turbo is rated as the best Daiwa Reel if you can find some. Then you have the Abu Rockets, your older Rockets are far better made again so I'd find a mint pair of them if possible or I'd go for the akios shuttles, but they are heavier!
Hi ,

.... interresting: i want to buy a lighter reel to replace my Penn's for clean ground . I definately want a magged reel, and was thinking 7ht mag because of the higher ratio (i don't like the slow retrieve of my Abu's)... could you explain why you think the 7ht mag's are so bad ?

Thank's , Gert

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi ,

.... interresting: i want to buy a lighter reel to replace my Penn's for clean ground . I definately want a magged reel, and was thinking 7ht mag because of the higher ratio (i don't like the slow retrieve of my Abu's)... could you explain why you think the 7ht mag's are so bad ?

Thank's , Gert
Pinnon Support sleeves need re-fitting with them as there not strong enough and unengaged spools were two of the issues that many of us have had. There is a list of other faults with it too which is why a very well known angler (NOT PK) who tested it with Daiwa threw it back at them on more than one occasion while being tested i'm lead to believe. Daiwa have had years to put these common faults right but never did anything. You'd expect on a reel at that expense they would have sorted it.

Of course its horses for course and all and many will say there the dogs, but its just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Pinnon Support sleeves need re-fitting with them as there not strong enough and unengaged spools were two of the issues that many of us have had. There is a list of other faults with it too which is why a very well known angler who tested it with Daiwa threw it back at them on more than one occasion while being tested i'm lead to believe. Daiwa have had years to put these common faults right but never did anything. You'd expect on a reel at that expense they would have sorted it.

Of course its horses for course and all and many will say there the dogs, but its just my opinion.
Who's the well known angler? Just asking because a friend of mine was involved in the testing of the daiwa mag, and perhaps I could give you the truth of the matter as opposed to rumour.

I've put pinion supports in mine, but the same friend of mine that tested the reels hasn't got them in his. Doesn't see the need.

I'd also be interested to know what else is on the "list of other faults". :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I know exactly where your going with this one Kagger and 'NO' it is not your good friend! This was testing for a non local (to us) magazine article which was never published funnily enough. When I say he's well known, he is but maybe not as well known as yours ;) and certainly isn't as closely connected with Daiwa. Sorry I won't say his name as its a story he has explained to me personally and the guy has a business to run and is a good friend. I also may not remember everything he was saying. Basically he was out testing the reels provided via daiwa and 2 out 3 of them came to a grinding holt mid cast. The spools would not re-engage and caused a lovely nest. For new reels he obviously wasn't impressed with having to take them to bits on the beach. He then compared them with the casting distance he had over the black and gold original's and found no gain at all which made him wonder why he needed to pay all that extra cash. Maybe from then on he hated them, but I can understand that. The support sleeve issue is well known and for daiwa to not sort the issue is bad imo. Its been going on for years so I hear! If there's a factory fault you get it sorted you don't leave it until the angler on the beach then has to pay out more cash to get it sorted or ruins his outing. I'm not a pro caster and nothing like it, but I have an opinion and when asked I give my answer. If anyone disagrees that's cool with me your welcome too. I have a few other friends your all too familiar with I reckon Kag that hate these reels for similar reasons.
I'd love to know your friends history on the reels and what he felt about them etc, I'm nosy, but it won't change my mind as I don't like them. The plastic casing, the magnet control that goes from tame until about 3 then stupidly the otherway. I even don't like the quiet sounding reel as at night I tend to judge a cast based on the sound of the reel and the spool spin speed together, it seems to help me not overrun. Like I say though, its just my opinion on the reel.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I was always an abu man!! and have used 6500 rocket type reels for more years than I can remember and still do and most of them are over 20 years and were built to last in those days! They can be very quick and can catch you out into a headwind but in the right hands and conditions will out cast the 7ht mag.

I have a pair of 7ht mags and find then user friendly and with their brake system lets you get away with murder if you get the cast wrong. Mine have had the sleeve fitted and have taken a lot of stick and perhaps I am lucky that I have had no problems with them.

So both reels are good for clean ground fishing and both will give you good distance given a choice perhaps the 7ht mag gets my vote as its more user friendly straight from the box

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I know exactly where your going with this one Kagger and 'NO' it is not your good friend! This was testing for a non local (to us) magazine article which was never published funnily enough. When I say he's well known, he is but maybe not as well known as yours ;) and certainly isn't as closely connected with Daiwa. Sorry I won't say his name as its a story he has explained to me personally and the guy has a business to run and is a good friend. I also may not remember everything he was saying. Basically he was out testing the reels provided via daiwa and 2 out 3 of them came to a grinding holt mid cast. The spools would not re-engage and caused a lovely nest. For new reels he obviously wasn't impressed with having to take them to bits on the beach. He then compared them with the casting distance he had over the black and gold original's and found no gain at all which made him wonder why he needed to pay all that extra cash. Maybe from then on he hated them, but I can understand that. The support sleeve issue is well known and for daiwa to not sort the issue is bad imo. Its been going on for years so I hear! If there's a factory fault you get it sorted you don't leave it until the angler on the beach then has to pay out more cash to get it sorted or ruins his outing. I'm not a pro caster and nothing like it, but I have an opinion and when asked I give my answer. If anyone disagrees that's cool with me your welcome too. I have a few other friends your all too familiar with I reckon Kag that hate these reels for similar reasons.
I'd love to know your friends history on the reels and what he felt about them etc, I'm nosy, but it won't change my mind as I don't like them. The plastic casing, the magnet control that goes from tame until about 3 then stupidly the otherway. I even don't like the quiet sounding reel as at night I tend to judge a cast based on the sound of the reel and the spool spin speed together, it seems to help me not overrun. Like I say though, its just my opinion on the reel.
I was/am genuinly interested in any problems mate. I haven't had a problem with any of mine.

I fished with mag elites for years and they're cracking reels, but some of the problems I had with them were:-

1. A reel seat fail

2. The 'spring' on the mags weakening, which meant that when I cast the mags were thrown too far away from the spool resulting in instant crack-offs. If I hadn't spoken to Pete Coogan about this i'd never have sussed it.

3. The gears not re-engaging after casting, due to a part bending internally, a known issue, and fixed by just bending it back, but not something you'd do on the beach.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Loved the 7ht mags until I needed to cast close (brakes engage only on full blooded casts)
Pinion supports?? I fit them to any 7ht's that pass through my hands....but surely it's a flaw that should be ironed out?
As is reels that jump into gear. .
Abus (read akios too) always seem to jump into gear on me, fixable but annoying, why does all this fine engineering still result in a reel that jumps into gear?
So. 7ht's don't jump into gear, and the turbo doesn't have the peculiar brake system. ...so I use turbos now, 2 small blocks and give me no trouble....near or far.
Just my ramblings! And quite probable my ****e casting style that makes reels jump into gear; )
Had my turbos for over a year now so in terms of my usual swap shop behaviour, they're keepers......!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I use the 7ht mag reel and Abu reels and if I had to choose one of the modern Abu reels I'd go for the TSR reel which I also use. Good to cast, low one piece frame, ratchet which the 7ht mag doesnt' have and it has stainless steel gearing instead of the "brass" the other Abu reels have and ceramic bearings. You can also pick up the TSR for less brand new than the 7ht mag brand new.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
I've used both 6500s and 7HT Mags, both have pros and cons. To me the 7HT Mag is a better, smoother reel; I was field casting a vanilla reel a consistent 200 metres on the 150g and .31mm line, don't believe the carp about them being too slow... Short casting is ok if you do it the old fashioned way and thumb the spool - I was dropping baits 10 - 15 yards out on sunday no bother... Yes I've had a problem with the spool not engaging this after three years of abuse and me being a lazy arse when it comes to looking after my reels and it is an easy fix :eek:hmy:

Wouldn't go back to Abu since they were taken over by Pure fishing and production moved to the far east to save money at the cost of quality, the old Mag Elites were good but needed a bit more tuning than the 7HT Mag to get the same performance (for me anyways).

However if I was to buy another clean ground reel tomorrow it would be the Akios 656 CTM, heard nothing but good things about them and unlike Daiwa they quickly rectify faults (like the odd dodgy AR bearing in the early models that is now sorted).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts