World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have an old black rocket & an original blue Elite & have noticed I get a further cast from the rocket every time, they both have 1 brake block in & both have new bearings & are treated exactly the same with regards cleaning Etc so the ? is how do I make the Elite run a bit faster??? Cheers Melv.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hi all I have an old black rocket & an original blue Elite & have noticed I get a further cast from the rocket every time, they both have 1 brake block in & both have new bearings & are treated exactly the same with regards cleaning Etc so the ? is how do I make the Elite run a bit faster??? Cheers Melv.
Although getting rid of the ratchet cog on the end of the spool will help the Elite catch up it still won't get it to quite the running speeds of the older reel I don't think ... it wasn't a Rocket by the way it was named the "Ultracast" if your talking about the 1990 jobbie.

The early model was a very different beast ... although they look fundamentally the same the spindle is 4mm right through the pinion gear (the later ones step down to 3mm at that point) and the clearance between spindle and spool bearing inners are noticeably greater with a vernier .... the bearing inners will rotate on the spindle on the release (as the spindle wears you'll spot wear rings on it caused by the rotation) which seems to smooth out the acceleration of the bearings a bit.

That and the more rigid spindle just seem to make them a damn sight quicker than the later ones ... I've not met anyone who owns one yet who hasn't been of the opinion that they are a faster reel than the later models ... my personal favourite of 6500s, to the point that I have rather more than my fair share of them.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that guys i'll get shot of the cog then. Blackdog I think it is an earlier model than 1990 i think i'v had it longer than that & was second hand when i got it, will check out the shaft too would you carry spares for these 2 reels? cheers Melv.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Thanks for that guys i'll get shot of the cog then. Blackdog I think it is an earlier model than 1990 i think i'v had it longer than that & was second hand when i got it, will check out the shaft too would you carry spares for these 2 reels? cheers Melv.
Check the reel foot number for the age (90-0-90-91) ... if its black, has the rocket type side plates and has an ultracast spool it will be that model unless of course you have an older one thats been modified.

Limited original spares available but you can use some parts from later Elites etc ... though that means losing some of the advantages of the older one.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi blackdog the no on the reel seat is 010103 (rocket) 050005 (on the Elite) does that tell you anything?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really thought i'd had it longer than that but obviously not ! Thanks for all your help. Melv.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts