World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
i use a marine grade grease after having general stuff emulsify.

abu,s let more water inside than most other reels so i use the marine stuff on all the insides and a thin coat on the inside of the plates just to be sure.

dont know about vasaline though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is it ok to use vaseline to grease the gears and bits?

I'm not an engineer, but Vaseline is not designed to lubricate moving parts (at least not on reels). ABU and Penn both sell tubes of reel grease and I always use these. Vaseline should okay smeared thinly on the inner surfaces of the side plates as a water repellent though.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
550 Posts
The penn reel grease is very good and lasts for ages. I thnk its £4.99 for a 2oz tub which doesnt sound a lot but it is.

I've got 2 tubs after ordering too much lol, still both nearly full aswell and I clean and lube my 4 reals twice a year.

Mike

C

·
0 Posts
would you use machine grease to relieve chaffing of the thighs? MMMM thats a thought might give it a go!!!!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i use vasline on my gears, seems to stay in the gears longer than reel grease.

this might sound silly but don't put grease in you bearings, oil for the bearings.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I don't own an Abu, but I am a racing cyclist and we use very a good waterproof grease for the bike bearings, I have used it on my reels and find it excellent. You can get it from any Good bike shop ( Not Halfords) that specializes in lightweight racing machines, far better than Vaseline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts