World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This model looks set to be a winner as ABU take advantage of their 7x stronger gearing and up the gear ratio on the "Hi Speed" to a speedy 6.3:1. Apart from the gearing all other specifications are the same as the standard model and the glourious red and chrome finish makes the reel look as fast as it is.
Ok Lads, Anyone got there Paws on one, and how does she handle? :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
have you notices the tapered spool on them i think THINK! that it is something to do with balancing out the spool. i mite have to invest in one it can only be better than the mag elite

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Ok Lads, Anyone got there Paws on one, and how does she handle? :)
I dont see how a higher gear ratio can be stronger! The opposite i would have thought unless they have somehow magically put a larger pinion and main gear in the sideplates.
If its anything like those crap silver 7500cts a few years back then they will be sh***. The spools flexed as they were made thinner to incorporate the bigger pinion.
Any weight on them and they just locked up. Absolute c***.

Ps the v spools are not new. I bought a mag elite a while back for the field and it has the V spool . I must say it does sem better balanced and the spool is lighter.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think i will reserve my judgements until they come out. Apparently Spotty Dog is getting them towards the end of the month and had them on offer at £99.99 for the 6500 Ct mag reel in the new cool grey and orange colours. The pictures in Sea Angler and on Veals of them look superb, although i am dubious as to how they can increase strength so much without increasing the size or the weight due to materials?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The strength of a gear comes down too how thick and wide the teeth on it are not the number of teeth. The downside is wear. The smaller gear will rotate more often. That was a disaster on a high speed 6500 reel they did a while ago. So 7 times stronger they may be but how much harder is the small pinion gear in particular is the "reel" question. They must be using a different material as the teeth just cant be 7 times thicker or wider than they used to be. It sounds a bit buyer beware to me. Maybe they are using a hard high strength stainless though. It would need to be too.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have the new Model 6500 CT C3 2007 MAG in Grey/Orange and i have to say its superb, Some people have expressed dislike to the new range of colours used in abu's efforts to appeal to the Bling worthy tackle tarts! But i like the new colours, Different and a fresh change to norm from Abu.
Enough cosmetic how does it perform, Well its fantastic! Controlerble, Smooth, alot smoother in fact both in terms of casting (Free Spool) and when winding in, That new shape handle is really very comfortable, I believe they have deffinatly uprated the bearings they are way smoother than the stock bearings supplied in previous Rockets and Mags in the past! The mag control is far less erratic also each click is very progressive allowing very accurate fine tuning of the magnets which are very efficient without being a pain when wanting little or no breaking in mid flight but when needed quickly slow down the spool in a very controlled fashion! The anodised finish on the side plates and sides of the cage i feel will be very corrosion resistant and fair well in years of use and harsh abuse, The etched Abu logo is also a nice touch on the front of the cage bar! All in all a very nice and pleasant suprise and addition to the Abu range, Better than the original mag! Sorry this was not a review on the high speed all is the same but just gearing! thats all! If your thinking of buying i say go for it! I must admit they do look strange in the new colours but you get used to them and actually grow to like it!
The whole reel as a package feels very refined and smooth, without tuning in the tackle shop magnets wound off in freespool the spool was spinning for roughly 15 - 20 seconds and thats out of the box so fast enough i feel! Buy one!:clap3:

Jim

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice report Bandit....you should be a salesman lol...hope your going to the Bexi meet ..i can have a peek at you new reel b4 i buy

MrB

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Working all the overtime god sends at the moment so i can justify buying one for the summer. Hehe! even matches the whippings on me Tip Tirnado. It looks completely bling and i bet that it will be probably better performance wise than my older 6500's. Please post a report when you have had it a bit longer as i am seriously considering buying one when i can afford to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts