World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

thinking of gearing up from my shakespeare combo for xmas. thinking of getting a slr2002 rod but am undecided on the reel.

which would you buy as both are in the same price bracket?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have both reels and as you probably already know they are both quality pieces of kit so your descision is a nice one to have :unsure: I have only had problems with my Abu (spool re-engagement was a bit lazy until I was told of simple fix), but to be fair, I have had it longer and used it more than my Penn (which I adore and am planning on buying a second one)

It really does come down to personal preference, so if possible try to 'try before you buy'

What type of ground are you fishing over, and for what species? This could have some bearing on the choice. For example, the Abu Mag Elite does not have a ratchet (a particular problem for me when targeting tope), but is more balanced on a light rod over clean ground than the Penn. The Penn just feels more solid, and the gearing is superb so it really helps if you are cranking in fish over rougher ground. The Abu is easier to set up/control than the Penn (which can run pretty fast straight from the box) but as I said, both quality reels and opinions will be slplit as to which is the 'best'

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot. will be using it mainly in the winter to get some distance from sandy beaches, however some rough ground work will be included. species will vary but will be shore species, cod/bass/pollack and so on.

never thought of the 7ht, and is slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own both ABU Mag sport and Penn Mag 252, but I find that sand and Penn Mag252 don't mix, when ever I get sand on the Penn Mag252, it causes a horrible grinding sound and jams the spool, any other beach anglers have experinced similar problems? The ABU Mag sport is better and have not had any problems with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts