World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of one of the Abu 7000C3's which are currently on offer. Initially i thought it looked very similar to my older 7000C3 which i bought about 4 years ago, both where silver in colour with a silver band and gold writing. I then started to compare them in more detail and found there to be a few differences. It has the newer style of spool on it with the stop (like the 7000 Big Game reels) instead of the grooved spoll on the older Abu's. The stardrag and handle seem to be different on the newer version, with a more curved shape to the star drag lever. I also noticed that the new reel had 'Ambassadeur' stamped on the sideplates, where as the older version has 'Made in Sweden' stamped on it. On the reel foot it also has a sticker saying 'Made in Taiwan', the box containing a sticker with a similar message. Has anbody else bought one of these reels recently from one of the mail order places? Could you be able tell me what yours has stamped on the side plates, or if it has a sticker on the reel foot? Apparently the one my friend has bought from a similar place has a different style of star drag lever, but is still made in Taiwan. if anbidy could clear this query up it would be most appreciated. I have looked at various tackle shops and from pictures can clearly identify a few minor differences to the reels.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think there is also something similar with the chrome Abu 7500C3 i have seen ones with a black sticker on the side and some other versions whuch have the more rounded star drag lever and a slightly different spool arrangement. Hopefully people who own these reels will be able to understand what i am talking about.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One theory i have heard is that some are English export models and others are imported from the USA which may account for the differences, but i do not know about this?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
all reels of the same model can be slightly different.

while the model is the same they can alter or replace parts for various reasons as they wish without effecting performance or as they find a fault in a part or even upgrade a component.

i have seen 3 mag eltes all bought with one month of each other all have small differences internally but perform the same.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anbody else bought an Abu 7000C3 from Poingdestres, G.A.C or Harris sportsmail? Could you please comment if it is the Swedish Model or the Taiwan model. Althought there are only a few minor differences i am convinced that the Taiwan made reel is of an inferior quality.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Has anbody else bought an Abu 7000C3 from Poingdestres, G.A.C or Harris sportsmail? Could you please comment if it is the Swedish Model or the Taiwan model. Althought there are only a few minor differences i am convinced that the Taiwan made reel is of an inferior quality.
if you buy any new 7000 its almost definately made in taiwan or wherever unless the dealer has had it on his shelf for over a year.

all 7000s are made outside sweden and have been for quite some time.

theres been loads of threads about them and the general concensus is that the build quality is not as good as those originally made in sweden.

they might have rectified that though with the new range of ....i... models

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that the general concensus is that the 'Made in Taiwan' models are not as good. What i was really wanting to find out is if i could be able to obtain a Swedish made model and take the one i had back. I think that some places still have the Swedish models for sale, and some are selling the 'newer' Taiwanese models. It would be my preference to have a Swedish model, because a friend bought a 7000 BG NLD and the leverdrag failed after only a few months use, also the the spool release button kept getting stuck aswell. At the time i purchased it i was under the impression it was actually a Swedish model, this is why i want to ask others to find out which model they have recieved.
Cheers Bass-ic Instinct

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i'd be suprised if the shop would swap it just because you didn't like where it was made..still worth ago.

I got a chrome 7500c3 off poindestres via e-bay...£50 using the "make best offer function". It is the Taiwan version but at that price it could be made on mars by little green men for all I care

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 7500C3 chrome as well, purchased from Veals. Although both are made in taiwan this one feels althogether better built. Perhaps it is beacause it still has brass endplates and uses different materials. The question was really about if the 'Swedish' made reels are still available. I have an older Swedish made 7000C3, and although similar in appearance it feels better quality. More of a personal thing really. i have no complaints of my 'Taiwan' 7500C3, although have heard plenty about poor build quality, and have seen how poor the 7000 Big Game reels are first hand. I did hear one theory though that some batches are worse than others.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Further to this i recieved an e-mail today and a telephone call from two large mail order companies which confirmed that they only have the Taiwan made Abu 7000C3 and 7500C3 (chrome). Although one has advertised the reel as having 'Genuine Swedish parts' it is actually not the reel built in Sweden. Just a warning though, some of the imagery used by these companies features not the exact same model of reel as the one actually sold. Some feature pictures of earlier 'Made in Sweden' reels. Although for £59.99 these reels still represent good value, it is more a case of buyer beware as some mail order companies are leading people to believe that they are recieving a Genuine s=Swedish mad reel, when instead they are recieving a perhaps not as good quality Taiwanese made reel. Hopefully this will clear the issue up for others, and answers my question that the Swedish made reels are not available for sale from these retailers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts