World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanting to improve my cast, but i have been told that it isnt the best reel for casting long distances... so would my casting improve if i took any brakes out, or does it even have breaks, im sort of a newbie, well ive been fishing for a while, but dont go into all the technical stuff, so if there is brakes in it, how would i go about taking them out.... cheers

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Some people simply dismantle the reel and take the level wind bits off. It will be a much livelier reel.
Phil may comment on how far a standard reel will send a 5oz lead. I think it's about 170yds if you can cast.

John

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
What i would do is remove the levelwind and fit CT converion fram bars so that it has no levelwind an in effect an open framed reel. Another thing i would to is change the bearings to ceramics and use a lower viscosity oil suck as TG's Yellow or Red Rocketfuel. Removing the brakeblocks will mean that the freespool spins faster aswell, but one problem with larger reels is that the spool starts spinning faster than the lins going out being towed by the lead and the reel begins to birds nest. An altogether better option may be to just by a better CT casting reel such as a Daiwa 7HT or Abu 6500CT mag.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I bought a 7000 about the time they first became available.
It had the level wind and bronze bushes (not ball races).
With a level 30 pound line, 5 ounce weight, I could get over 100 yards easily.
When I started using heavy leaders and 15 pound mainline I took the level wind off. Only added a few yards to my maximum cast but could handle cross winds much better with the lighter mainline.

I think you have to consider where you are fishing as far as reel and casting distance are concerned. You live in an area where some of your fishing is likely to be over quite rough ground, probably at distances less than 100 yards - the 7000 will do that with the level wind left in place.

If you have problems reaching that distance it may be best to look at your rod and casting technique first. As long as the reel is clean and free running that should not be your main problem.

For fishing over clean ground a smaller reel may help - but the 7000 series is capable - with a good technique - of 120 yards easily.

As for the brakes - if your 7000 is like mine it should have 4 brake blocks in place.
If you have a reasonably smooth casting style I would suggest two brake blocks is probably enough.

Work on your casting technique and have a good think before spending any money on CT convertions.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are the brake blocks?? Have you got any pictures of them. I can get about 130 yards at the moment, and i usually fixed clean ground, but the odd time i fish rough. I just really want to get a bit further in my cast to add more of an option when i am fishing...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
An Abu 7500C is equipped with a mechanical brake, operated by the left-hand end cap, which if you look carefully, is calibrated for this purpose. This operates at relatively low speeds. Inside on the handle side of the reel is a narrow brake drum, inside which the pins (on which the brake blocks, found in the plastic bag with the oil, supplied) which stick out from the spool spindle, rotate. This braking system operates at high speed, the blocks are thrown out,touching the inside of the brake drum when the spool is accelerating, and retreating towards the spindle when the reel is slowing. This controls the high speed rotation of the spool when casting. Put the brake blocks on the pins, reassemble the reel and you are ready to go. Fill the spool with min 0.4mm/18-20lb. BS line, add a shock leader, and you are ready to go. Time now for some instruction, it'll save hours.
How far will one of these cast? best I know of using a Zziplex Pendleteque Bullet and a 150g. lead is 237 yards, not by me I hasten to add, although the rod & reel were mine. And before you ask, yes the level-wind was connected-up!!!

philtherod

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Think philtherod gives some sound info.
All the distance casting 'experts' that decry levelwinds should take note of his comments.
The 7000 series are quite remarkable casting reels even with the level wind. Only real drawback is the top bar limits the grip for a really hard cast.

NUFCO9 - you are not doing badly if you can manage a fishing cast of 130 yards at your age. Great to be able to improve though. Good Luck - enjoy yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts