World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having a hunt around in all me old Salmon fishing gear, came across my Abu Amassadeur 6500GR ( forgot I had it ? ) its near new, I only ever used it for chucking tobys/devons at Salmon, what I was wondering was.... would this reel be ok as a beachcasting reel, it has mag brakes, level wind all the usuals.

Dont think its got quite the same line capacity as a 6500CT but as I cant launch it much further than 100 mts this wouldnt matter much ?? would this stand up to being used as a sea fishing beachcast reel ?

Let me have your thoughts on this reel please guys as it would save me a bit o dosh

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Hi Dunny the reel should be fine-have a look at the thread Abu 6000 below - I've been using mine for a couple of weeks and it's been great-birdsnests notwithstanding :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
ive been using a 6500gr for years and its great on the beach with the level line removed.i found that its fine with a couple of magnets removed too-a very nice smooth reel thats lasted well.

line capacity should be the same as its still 6500 size reel

hope this helps

sean

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went round to the old golf range with me beachcaster and abu 6500GR set up and started lobbing the 4oz weight about, well impressed with this reel, as I aint got a clue what to do with pendulum cast thingys, I was well chuffed to be able to lob the weight over 120 mts :D with the old Intrepid Sea Streak I was lucky if I was getting near 90mts

Even better...not 1 single birdsnest, then again, its very rare that I do get em ;)

Now where's the nearest casting tourny :p

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have used my Abu 6500gr for over 15 years now and it is still going strong, i clean it after every trip and use yellow rocket fuel for the oilling and it has never gave me an ounce of problems,never birdsnested it (magnets wound right down) and i still have level wind intact - although i am soon to remove level wind and fit some ct bars.
I also got a 525 mag but i still prefere my trusty abu. :D

P

·
0 Posts
dont forget the shakespeare neptune u got rk
the reason he doesnt have an ounce of problems is cos i can pee further than he can cast

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
take no notice to pobolycwm he is my kid brother and i taught him everything he knows.
And i do not own a neptune rod, i do however have a shakespeare typhoon beach and an old shakespeare maxcast match and i cast 150 yards no probs :D
:mad: SO there BRO ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts