World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I know there has been lots of threads warning of the quality of this series of Abu, due to Far East assemblies, but I have bought one nonetheless (bargin price):unsure:

However, I have received the reel, and I am finding that when reeling in (straight from the box, no line and held in my had only) there is a noticable resistance, and the handle does not freely spin more than one revolution when rotated and released, unlike my other new reels (different makes and models) that rotate about 3 revolutions. when released (I do have experience with many other reels).

This is the 2nd identical reel that I have received, as I returned the first one for this same reason.

Can someone else who has this reel let me know if this is a usual characteristic?

(the problem is not an issue with the spool, as this rotates freely with no resistance).

Thanks

Pross

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
my shops got some in and thats how they are. they free spool no problem, but when you flick the handle round it won't spin like a normal reel. i presume that it's down to the drag system on it.

how much did you pay for it mate? bet i could have got one cheaper for ya.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have noticed with the big game series that when the drag is tightened up fully it doesn't semm to spin so freely when the handle is turned in gear though seems better when slightly slacker so it would seem to be to do with the drag.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I have had a few lever drag reels - not the ABU 7000 though.
All have had some resistance when turning the handle with no load on the line. As soon a there is a weight on the line that resistance is not noticeable.
No idea why this happens but I suspect the drag range adjuster (knurled knob the drag lever rotates around) may have some influence on this.
I tend to attempt getting the max drag out of lever drag reels and sometimes that range adjustment is turned to the point I am starting to loose the free spool setting.
This has happened even on a Penn International 12LT so it is not just the cheaper reels that this happens with. I eventually had to replace a bearing on that reel - probably I had expected too much of it.
Lever drag reels have some advantages but are there are some minus points to.
The 7000 lever drag has not been one of the best - have heard a few bad comments on their reliability. But at that price worth a go.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
It was £50.73. How come they are so many Abu's on the market so cheap?
bloody hell that is cheap, thats less than trade to most small shops. they can't be making much money on that. well done on suearching that price out.

i'm eating my words now. not much flavour, needs more ketchup. LOL.

T

·
0 Posts
It was £50.73. How come they are so many Abu's on the market so cheap?
Because you get what you pay for and you paid cheap so you get a cheap product.

If yu had paid 5 times the price (or even twice the price) you would have got a far superior product, but at a BIG cost.

...You pays your money and makes your choice.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They were originallly quite expensive though when the Big Game series and the 7000C4 LD and 7500C3 (chrome) came out. I have adverts in 2005-2006 magazines where the reels were sold at about £94.99-109.99 with a R.R.P. of £189.99. Now in direct comparison for those kind of prices you could have a Shimano Tekota, Shimano Torium or an Avet SX for not much more!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because you get what you pay for and you paid cheap so you get a cheap product.

If yu had paid 5 times the price (or even twice the price) you would have got a far superior product, but at a BIG cost.

...You pays your money and makes your choice.
Tom

Understand what you are saying, but that doesn't answer my question. I have a Shimano Charter Special lever drag and loved it (past tense because I don't get to use it that often), and my dad has a Daiwa lever drag that he still uses (this was a fantastic reel for so many years, but has lost its smooth action), but both these reels cost around the £100 when purchased around 10 years ago.

My question was "what was the catch" for these Abu's being so cheap?

Also, the Daiwa Lever Drag I mentioned above seems now to be in the Shimano range. Have I missed any history on who owns who, or patent rights, etc?

Cheers

Pross

15,082 Posts
Tom

Understand what you are saying, but that doesn't answer my question. I have a Shimano Charter Special lever drag and loved it (past tense because I don't get to use it that often), and my dad has a Daiwa lever drag that he still uses (this was a fantastic reel for so many years, but has lost its smooth action), but both these reels cost around the £100 when purchased around 10 years ago.

My question was "what was the catch" for these Abu's being so cheap?

Also, the Daiwa Lever Drag I mentioned above seems now to be in the Shimano range. Have I missed any history on who owns who, or patent rights, etc?

Cheers

Pross

There is no catch.The reel is finished and no more will be produced.Germany is full of them.If you are prepared to buy 10 they are less than £30 each.The ABU 7500 C3 is the same.Cheap as chips.Buy 10,each one will last 2 years if you clean them.Throw them away,you have enough reels for 20 yrs and the cost will be less than 50p per week!
You can buy the NEW 2007 model ABU 7000 for £30.99 in the UK.
You can also buy theBRAND NEW 2007 NEW ABU 7000 C4 LEVER DRAG for LESS than £60 delivered.

Ron

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thats £47 including P+P, plus i have not seen that one at my local Abu stockists. It looks similar to the new 7000i Pro Rocket, but that has gold fitting and costs £94.99.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts