World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this may seem like a daft question but are abu brake blocks available in different sizes? I'm only asking because I normally cast on the mags alone but both my reels fluff on the 125 even on maximum mags. I stuck a standard block in my 6500 sportsmag this morning and hit 205 yds on the 125 with no fluffing at all, then kicked myself as I kept thinking how far it would have gone with no block......Now if I had half a block I'd be well away, or would it be better to get a larger magnet?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hi, this may seem like a daft question but are abu brake blocks available in different sizes? I'm only asking because I normally cast on the mags alone but both my reels fluff on the 125 even on maximum mags. I stuck a standard block in my 6500 sportsmag this morning and hit 205 yds on the 125 with no fluffing at all, then kicked myself as I kept thinking how far it would have gone with no block......Now if I had half a block I'd be well away, or would it be better to get a larger magnet?
what i have done for some time is thread brake block on to end of cocktail stick, using wet and dry emery down to desired lgth i make various lengths .

prob i am finding is getting the older more compact fibre blocks we used to use years ago.

the ones i see now are not as compact and seem to crumble disintegrate.

bring back the old fibre blocks abu please.

·
Registered
709 Posts
what i have done for some time is thread brake block on to end of cocktail stick, using wet and dry emery down to desired lgth i make various lengths .

prob i am finding is getting the older more compact fibre blocks we used to use years ago.

the ones i see now are not as compact and seem to crumble disintegrate.

bring back the old fibre blocks abu please.
i agree with you m8,hence why we used to find different ways of making our own,but cotten bud sticks work g8

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
apparently lads up my way used to put super glue on there fibre blocks to stop the falling apart mind you the brake blocks they used were smaller than the ones i used and i thought mine were the smallest you could get.

magnets are great for some people but i think brake blocks still have a lot going for a lot of people. imho.

·
Registered
709 Posts
apparently lads up my way used to put super glue on there fibre blocks to stop the falling apart mind you the brake blocks they used were smaller than the ones i used and i thought mine were the smallest you could get.

magnets are great for some people but i think brake blocks still have a lot going for a lot of people. imho.
i think horses for courses comes to mind, but ive known lads to put the tiniest blocks hardly visable in with reels that are magged then they can load there reels to the hilts with line and never blow up

·
Registered
85 Posts
You should never blow up a magelite with the magnets full on! Must be something wrong with it, like your end float for instance, if you move the spool right the magnets will have less of an effect on the spool, maybe thats the problem.

If its setup right the magnets should have no effect on zero, and be pulling the rod tip down when there turned right up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts