World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying an Abu Esprit Bass (12'/1-3oz) rod for casting lures, spinners and mackeral feathers from the shore. I had considered the Shakespeare Odessa Bass as many of you seem to regard it quite highly however it's rated at 2-4oz and I'm not sure if this would be ideal for some of my casting lures and spinners which weigh between around 1oz and 1.5oz. Does anyone have any experience of the Esprit Bass and how does it differ from the Abu Premium Bass which seems to be a pretty similiar rod apart from the Esprit having a Griplock on the multiplier version rather than a reel seat as on the Premium Bass? Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm glad you raised this, Lucky , as I find myself in a similar dilemma.
I was considering having a look at the Odessa Flattie as this is rated as a 1-3 oz rod but I didn't know how suitable it would be .
Hope you get some replies from folks more helpful than myself !

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'll soon know now Rusty. I've just ordered the Esprit Bass from Spotty Dog Tackle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Lucky Just Seen Your Post. The Premium Bass Is A Cracker Of A Rod Had Mine For About 3 1/2 Yrs Caught Loads Of Fish Over The Years, The Esprit Bass Is Very Similar. However For Light Fishing 1 1/2 Oz I Found It A Bit Too Pokey So Earler This Year I Came Across The Abu Conolon Spinning Rod Casts Upto 60gm (2oz) And I Have Used It Most Of The Time To Catch Bass/mackies And Anything Else That Gets Hooked. It Casts A Dream As Far As The Prem Bass Rod If Not Further. Cost £50 Torbay Angling. If You Can Fish As Light As Possible For Some Great Sport. :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi bassbandit - now you tell me mate :rolleyes: - too late now the Espirit is on it's way but thanks for the tip anyway. I did have a chat to the guy at Spotty Dog before I ordered it and he was extremely complimentary about the rod - he actually rated it much higher than the Premium Bass even though they both retail for the same amount - hopefully I'll have it by the weekend and be able to try it out down Brighton Marina. I've got a couple of those 25 gram Yozuri Mag-minnows which I want to try casting with it. Just out of interest what length is the Conolon spinning rod you're refering to BB? Funnily enough I have an older medium action 7'11''' Abu Conolon 300 graphite rod (Made in Korea) that I picked up cheaply for a few quid on ebay quite a while back just to use as a spare boat rod if I needed one but I've often wondered what it would be like for light lure work - I've never got round to trying it out. It has a really lght flexible top half to the rod and is rated for 0-80gm lures so it should be OK but I think it might just be a bit short in length to use from the shore. It really does have a lovely light balanced feel to it though.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
This might be a bit late, but I own an Odessa Flattie adn I would rate it highly for spinning and light work, it just won't hold up to much ledgering in a surf or big bass, although my dad did land an eight pounder on his. Made you cringe seeing it flex that much :eek:.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for that Tozer , I might just take the plunge and buy one . As I never seem to connect with anything anywhere near 8lb I guess I should be OK! :eek:

Still ,you never know.......

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Rusty - you might want to check the 'What's a "specimen rod"?' thread. weeverboy and Ryan have put forward some interesting suggestions on spinning plugs from the shore.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cheers Lucky , thats definitely food for thought . Living so far from the coast I do a fair bit of lure fishing for pike and a short baitcasting set up would probably be useful for this as well as the occasional sea spinning trip .
BTW How do you like the Esprit Bass rod you ordered ?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Rusty - I actually haven't had a chance to try out the Esprit yet but it sure looks a nice rod. I live in London and it's a bit of a hike to the coast for me too plus my mate who I go fishing with has been away on holidays so I just been watching a lot of cricket in my spare time over the last couple of weeks. I think the rod will be great for my spinners in the 40gm to 60gm range but may not be perfect for the lighter lures - makes sense really as it's rated for 1oz-3oz. I think the 26gm Mag-minnows should be fine though - anyway I'll see soon and let you know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts