World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey thanks for the help on my post on which boat rod. I've gone for the Abu Garcia boat rod.

I've just started out fishing and is going to be my first rod, but im wondering which lb rating to get, the 12-20lb Abu or 15-30.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be using it for general sea fishing/boat fishing, can't say what i'll be aiming to catch as im just starting out. I'm up in Scarborough alot at the moment and soon to be moving up here so i'll generally be fishing on the north east coast.

G

·
If shads and lures of less than 12oz then go for a 12lb class outfit, you'll have much more fun.

If priking is more likely then you'll need something a little more designed for the job, however (I hate pirking by the way) on the one occassion I allowed myself to bang metal across a wreck I only had a a 12/20 with me and it did fine with the best skull drag to the surface being a 12lb Cod and a 23lb Cod together.

Go light, you won't regret it.

Tom

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
tom did you take those cod on one pirk!?!? lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
the best boat rod on the market is suveran, soft for playing with feathers and purks but strong bullying big fish. go for the 30lb

G

·
the best boat rod on the market is suveran, soft for playing with feathers and purks but strong bullying big fish. go for the 30lb
Why 30lb class?

How to muller fishing in one easy go.

Let me think about this.

Average fish is less than 10lb in weight.
The slim chance of a 30lb fish.

Average amount of lead is 12oz or less.

I know I'll buy a 30lb class and spoil any sporting enjoyment in one go.

Go as light as you are comfortable with and remember a 6lb class rod will handle a 60lb fish in the right hands.

Remember the amount of lead you need to fish your chosen location should dictate what rod you buy, not the size of the fish you hope to catch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll be using it for general sea fishing/boat fishing, can't say what i'll be aiming to catch as im just starting out. I'm up in Scarborough alot at the moment and soon to be moving up here so i'll generally be fishing on the north east coast.
I live 7 miles down the coast at filey,if fishing over hard ground 15 to 30lb will be fine you normally catch cod mackeral pollack cole fish. Bait fishing is normally most effective but when conditions are right lures work well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts