World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all have been looking in my local tackel shops today for a new beachcaster and am a little overwhelmed by the choice and am worried about buying a lemon, i have spoken to a couple of people in the shops but am not sure weather there advice is sound or if it is driven by prospect of a sale.

i am after a beachcaster around 13 foot in lenth, preferably fixed spool as i have never used a multiplyer.
I have found a Abu Garcia Suveran 13 foot 3 piece beachcaster which the guy told me retails for £200.00 for £100.00 used but immaculate, only problem is it is for a multiplyer. i am planning on buying a new reel at the same time, so i could change to a multiplyer and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

also seen a Abu Stigma 13 footer which is £90 new, looks nice but not too sure.

so i was just wondering if anyone has used these and what you think of them? also if they are good value? any other suggestions? and anyone local got anything for sale?

cheers
Th_Walking_Dude

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I know a couple of people with the Abu Severan RX and they are good rods but £100 sounds quite steep for a second hand one. Why not look at the new Abu hellbenders as they can be bought new for about £120 and they are the new replacement basically and I am pretty sure you can get a fixed spool version if you dont want to swap over.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Hi th_walking_dude

I have the XP Surveran which is for rough ground fishing..and i'm very pleased with...but they also do (i think) an SX which i am sure is for smooth to mixed ground...so i would check which rod it is they have for sale and whether it will suit your fishing.

If you definately would prefer a fixed spool rod..imo you won't go far wrong with a Shakespeare Salt FS at around about the £60 mark good value for money..i hope this helps..

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a couple of people with the Abu Severan RX and they are good rods but £100 sounds quite steep for a second hand one. Why not look at the new Abu hellbenders as they can be bought new for about £120 and they are the new replacement basically and I am pretty sure you can get a fixed spool version if you dont want to swap over.:thumbs:
nice one thanks, i just saw a hell bender on ebay didn't know if they were new or old or any good. I think the shop i went to may be a little on the pricey side, i will probably end up buying on line. in fairness though the rod did look brand new.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi th_walking_dude

I have the XP Surveran which is for rough ground fishing..and i'm very pleased with...but they also do (i think) an SX which i am sure is for smooth to mixed ground...so i would check which rod it is they have for sale and whether it will suit your fishing.

If you definately would prefer a fixed spool rod..imo you won't go far wrong with a Shakespeare Salt FS at around about the £60 mark good value for money..i hope this helps..
yes mate that helps a lot, could do with saving money, my main rod i use now is a Masterline beachcaster i brought on sale with a cheap reel for £30, the main thing i am looking for is casting distance and i do mainly fish smooth ground.

i have also been looking at a rod by Storm called Force 12 Pro Beach, its only £50 but i'm not sure on the brand

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
nice one thanks, i just saw a hell bender on ebay didn't know if they were new or old or any good. I think the shop i went to may be a little on the pricey side, i will probably end up buying on line. in fairness though the rod did look brand new.
Abu did do the hellbender some years ago but the new ones are much more colourful !! than the original black ones.

Here is a link for the current models.

http://www.fishingmayhem.com/FMOSC/index.php?cPath=80_82&osCsid=4e37595a3eddaa2ce178d3fc1e1c891d

I know a couple of people with the new Hellbenders (multiplier versions and they love them)

G

·
I've got the Hellbender HS, lovely rod to use, plenty of poke but not overly stiff, could handle the odd rough ground trip, but not a dedicated rough ground tool, more than happy with mixed/cleanish ground, makes a good allrounder, top class rod

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've got an abu suveran xp, plenty of poke, quite a sturdy rod, some people don't think it's stiff but i think it is. Good rod for rough ground. It needs a little bit of tlc at the mo coz im a bit of a numpty!:bangin:
My other rod which i use over clean to mixed ground is a penn jetstream, it's 4 piece but casts like a two, you would never think that it was a 4 piece rod. Don't think you can get them any more. My mate uses it with a fixed spool all tho it's rung for a multiplier and finds it's the best rod he has cast.
All the best in your rod hunt.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Good rod but £100 is deffo too much for a second hand suveran, you could buy them new for less than that before they were discountinued

·
Specimen Hunter
3,295 Posts
I have 2 of the 13ft beach sport models, i got mine second hand and in pretty mint condition,
they have a reducer built into the butt that just twists, slides out and twists to lock

i got mine at - £50 and £70 and in great nick so have a good look around,
These rods are capable of a good distance, they are quite stiff but not in comparison to the likes of a century TTR

brilliant rods :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Walking I have a pair of Abu Suveran RX rods that I bought from a guy on the fishing site, I have quite mixed feelings about them having used them for all types of fishing over the last year and a half.

Yep I have had a few great fish with them, And must say you could buy a lot worse for the money...... however many years back I had a Zippy and to this day I miss the thing ! If you get really lucky on Flea Bay ( and I know there are some bad sods on there with rod tips that have strange spacings aka the two top eyes are an inch too close together) you could look for a great condition Zziplex 3500. This rod I feel would give you more feel during the cast, it is my opinion that the Suveran is good but perhaps a little dead on the feedback. Somehow with the Zipps you can almost get to forget its in your hands, and once you get the measure of the rod you never look back. I don feel I have, or will get that same feeling with the Abu.

Another thing I have to point out with the Suveran is that it is now out of manufacture. This need not have been a problem unless like me you wanted a new butt section for one of these rods. When I contacted the manufacturers I was told that the blanks, or finished butt sections were no longer available even though they only ceased production a few months before I inquired ! I was told that rods still on sale new in shops would need to be exchanged if any guarantee issues were found.

I do think that if you were to approach Zziplex ( based down near Dungy ) you would most probably be able to get a butt section to fit a rod for quite a time after it had ceased production..... it is rumored that some folks have a quirky way and prefer to mix and match rod sections to come up with hybrids.

If I had £120 to spend on a lead chucker today I must admit I would be on Flea bay, with the proviso that I knew the correct length for the sections and the normal spacings, and did not part with my cash until I had the thing in my hand to check it! In short I would get a Zippy local enough that I could drive round and pay on collection.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Walking I have a pair of Abu Suveran RX rods that I bought from a guy on the fishing site, I have quite mixed feelings about them having used them for all types of fishing over the last year and a half.

Yep I have had a few great fish with them, And must say you could buy a lot worse for the money...... however many years back I had a Zippy and to this day I miss the thing ! If you get really lucky on Flea Bay ( and I know there are some bad sods on there with rod tips that have strange spacings aka the two top eyes are an inch too close together) you could look for a great condition Zziplex 3500. This rod I feel would give you more feel during the cast, it is my opinion that the Suveran is good but perhaps a little dead on the feedback. Somehow with the Zipps you can almost get to forget its in your hands, and once you get the measure of the rod you never look back. I don feel I have, or will get that same feeling with the Abu.

Another thing I have to point out with the Suveran is that it is now out of manufacture. This need not have been a problem unless like me you wanted a new butt section for one of these rods. When I contacted the manufacturers I was told that the blanks, or finished butt sections were no longer available even though they only ceased production a few months before I inquired ! I was told that rods still on sale new in shops would need to be exchanged if any guarantee issues were found.

I do think that if you were to approach Zziplex ( based down near Dungy ) you would most probably be able to get a butt section to fit a rod for quite a time after it had ceased production..... it is rumored that some folks have a quirky way and prefer to mix and match rod sections to come up with hybrids.

If I had £120 to spend on a lead chucker today I must admit I would be on Flea bay, with the proviso that I knew the correct length for the sections and the normal spacings, and did not part with my cash until I had the thing in my hand to check it! In short I would get a Zippy local enough that I could drive round and pay on collection.
Nice reply mate, thanks for taking the time to write it out.
I will have a look for a zippy as soon as i get a minute, interesting to see the terrible customer service provided by Abu, if you brought a Ford Focus just before the modle changed and you couldn't get spark plugs 3 months later that would be unacceptable, looks like the same kind of thing to me..........
I will let you know how I get on, i am going to look in the shakespeare salt rod mentioned above, just got a crazy weekend ahead of me with work. thanks again
Sam

·
Registered
425 Posts
i have the shakespeare salt 13 ft 9 in 3 pce fixed spool approx £90 new nice rod for distance casting but i just bought a daiwa 12 ft supercast multiplier approx £140 new, first time multiplier user & i love it abu ambassedour c3 reel nice

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I brought a Suveran RX from Veals for £80 about 2 yrs ago they may have once had a £200 rrp but you could get them for a lot less .
Even without the reducer it feels a bit heavy and a bit unresponsive - Out of all my rods - I stuggle to cast this one well - the tips a bit rank too - shows bites ok from bigger fish but for flounders etc futher out you'll only get odd knocks .
I think it is a bit OTT for the Thames Estuary where I think you will be fishing?
I think you'll be better off with a "match" type rod with a nice tip ?
I much prefer my IMAX 4/5oz for the same sort of money for estuary fishing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The guy in the shop telling you 200 and 100 for a second hand one is not exactly doing you any favours mate A few of the folk on here are dead right what you could buy for 100-120 quid second hand would be far better If you can't use a multi yet then if you want to be able to fish at distance then a 14ft plus rod is the way to go The penn 15ft9in rod will give you good distance with a 9TH cast and even a respectable distance with a good old overhead thump!!!! Although this is not the way to go really A half decent fixed spool can be got new now for around 30-40 quid no it's not going to be the best but will put a bait far enough Braid would also put a few extra yards on your cast but I'm all honesty the right rigs and good quality bait and the right place to fish is more important than the rod and reel you use remember the fish out there don't know if you are using a 50 quid eBay job or a 300 quid zzippy!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts