World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one shed some light on all the modles you can get?

i look at the different sizes and theres like 5 different modles like:
c3
ambassadeur C3 CT
C
any some more that i cant remember. I was looking for a nice little reel but i dont know what the differences are. I know some have level wind others dont i think thats what the ct stands for. Thanks for any help:unsure:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
CS is a reel with level wind, the little jobbie that sorts out the line lay. CT means that it doesn't have a level wind. Generally you want one without for shore as it means you can get a better grip with your thumb and I'd guess they run a little more freely (hence more distance if needed).

Size wise a 6500 is the standard beach size. You'll get a bit less than 300m of 15lb line on one. 7000 is a bigger (rough stuff) beach reel for rough ground, conger and stuff, and maybe general bottom boat fishing (people may argue with that). Any bigger than that is boat stuff for 'proper' fishing for big conger, shark etc.

You don't say what you're after, but for lightish beach stuff a Mag Elite 6500 (or Diawa 7HT) will do you fine, if a bit rougher but still a need to chuck a lead a way a Penn 525, or rougher still but casting not such an issue an Abu 7000 should see you sorted. Clear as mud? :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
CT stands for cage tournament and doesnt have a levelwind.If you want an easy to use out the box multiplier for general beachwork you cant go very wrong with a Daiwa 7ht.I have both 7hts and abu 6500cts and theyre all good,at the end of the day its personal choice but try and have a few casts with some mates to see how you get on

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya lads. Well im looking at a reel for bass and flaties wich will be over clean ground with hopefully a nice bass rod when iget round to it. Then later on i may get another abu for smoothys and rays etc which will be again over clean ground but where distance will be an advantage. I would like the bass real to have a level wind as alot of fishing will be on a night and would be nice not to have to worry about laying the line correctly. Sounds lazy but i tend to pay more attention to laying line correctly than enjoying the fight of the fish. Thanks every one

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Get either a Abu 5500C3CT (although expensive and hard to find brand new), an Abu 5500 C3 (levelwind removed) or a Daiwa 7HT. There are some good bargains on eBay occasionally as well. In general though any 5000-6000 sized Abu reel will perform well and do the task.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Whats the new Abu 6500C3 like? I was thinking of getting one for the light boat and light surf fishing. Anybody got one of the new models that they can comment on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts