World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into a project for myself to redo an abu 484. my dad has one in mint condition and is giving it an upgrade, better guides, slinding reel seat etc. i saw that this rod can cast up to 9oz of lead and i thought it would be pretty good my my style of fishing. Ive looked on ebay for a few but i find two models, one is with foam grips and a spigot and the other is with a cork handles and a wierd joint, it pushes in the male end and screws in place. Does this affect the movement of how the rod bends or can cope with the lead. I can look for some pics on ebay if you dont get what i mean, but could someone please tell me??

·
Registered
659 Posts
The 484 with cork handle and strange screw spigot joint and with wire rod rings was the original one about 1970s I think. The joint didn't make a huge difference at the time unless fully wound up with a pendulum cast. A mate still uses his with an overhead thump But casting 9oz - you would clear the beach if at Dungeness. 6oz was ample.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats the one!! i know 9oz is extreme but i would use 6/7oz of lead and 1 or 2 whole squid at my local deep water venue so itll suit me, or can i use a pendulum cast with a 4/5oz lead?? i can see them cheap on ebay but i didnt know which one was better??

·
Registered
659 Posts
They are both the same blank the 484 had cork while the 464 had shrink tube, it sounds like someone has just changed the grips. It was a very fast taper for it's time but soft by today's standard plus it's glass and not carbon. So it's a bit on the heavy side, but still a fun rod to use.
In it's day it was the precursor to the zipplex and endorsed by some very famous 80s anglers and casters. It's downfall was that rods started to get longer (14ft) as pendulum was quite hard to master on the beach.
Nice project if not expensive, you will have fun with it.
Iain

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry, slightly misread re the other rod with spigot, without seeing it, if it's shorter than the other it may be that someone removed or cut off the the old fitting and replaced with spigot or it's a different rod altogether. I don't remember one with a spigot but I may be wrong. The 484 will lob a 7oz lead and bait but putting some real welly into it does not feel good. 5/6 perfect.
Hope this helps.
Iain

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Wasn't it Leslie Moncrief who did have a record cast with it, think about 190+yds at the time, 70's ish?

Owned one when they came out, as did a lot of us; a relevation at the time! and the cork handle had a lovely feel to it, was a good fishing rod!

Think if you were to rebuilt it with Minama 4's and not too heavy on the trimmings it would still make a very good fishing rod, which I assume is what you want it for.
Dunno, not sure, but put in the hands of one of todays Top Tourny Casters and it very well might surprise?

It did what it was designed for, a good casting combined fishing rod, I would still use one today if I had one.

lighty

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill decide on the rings, wipping, handle ec later. there beefey rods i know that! id only want to cast 50yrds or less with big bait for fishing, no tournament casting but mabye the odd OTG with a 4/5oz lead and 3 hook flapper. it'll be fun to do up, and it will be in my collection for a fair old while till i can find a rod that can deal with big heavy leads and bait and good with pendulum casting for under £80.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Hi,
The original 484 and 464 rods from Abu were the start of the casting / rod revolution.

Both had wire rings - the 484 a full cork handle and screw winch fitting, whereas the 464 had shrink tube and coasters - the first production rod to spout these as far as I know, but maybe someone else knows different.
They were made from a conolon blank and had an extremely fast action which was obtained by a series of internally stepped tapers, making the blank walls quite thick by todays standards. Coupled with a dural butt, the rods were, by modern standards, heavy, and with a chromed screw spigot, actually sound awful...

How wrong would you be to write it off though. When used with a correct style such as a pendulum, which was requirted to wind up the blank, distances approaching 200 yrds at the time were possible - Peter Bagnall actually claimed a >200 yrds cast in practise IIRC.

The rods gave incredible bite detection and were the basis on what most modern day rods were based on - in my opinion it is such a shame that Abu no longer make the cream of rods as we owe them a lot...

Phil the rod probably knows more than most on the subject though.

Cheers,

Mart.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have a pair of 484s, with the original screw joint. As said, the blanks came from the californian Conolon firm (the first to use woven pre-preg, in 1948). The actual blank used was a bottle blank, for party boat use, where a simple boat rod could be built with the thick end of the tip used for cork, winch fitting, etc., and a set of rings at the tip end. The later ABU 84/154 with a spigot joint was not the same blank, I still have one with the original 1 1/16" alloy butt, replaced by a glass butt by Abu. The original blank (the bottle blank) was available in the early 70's from Going Bros at Southend (the Brown coloured one), and from Sport & Leisure (the black one). I had one of each, sold on as many have been.
Peter Bagnall was the man who designed the rod for Abu, and he demonstrated the rod, and used it to set records at the South & South-East England Shore Casting association, which eventually became the UKSF. The spigotted later rods were rubbish by comparison with the original 484/464, many records were set, both FS and Multi, the late great Nigel Forrest of Ipswich setting many, and retiring as no 1 with a 213yd 6oz record cast. I watched Paul Kerry practising casting with a Conolon after setting up the court about 1978 on the Saturday, when he hit 251yards with 150g on 0.40mm line, he was disappointed with beating Terry Carrolls 231 with a 239, a new record, after hitting 251 the previous day. The following year he hit 241yds with the conoflex 240T semicarbon, and set a new SA record a short while later with a 260+ on the new 0.35mm line.

PTR

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have a pair of 484s, with the original screw joint. As said, the blanks came from the californian Conolon firm (the first to use woven pre-preg, in 1948). The actual blank used was a bottle blank, for party boat use, where a simple boat rod could be built with the thick end of the tip used for cork, winch fitting, etc., and a set of rings at the tip end. The later ABU 84/154 with a spigot joint was not the same blank, I still have one with the original 1 1/16" alloy butt, replaced by a glass butt by Abu. The original blank (the bottle blank) was available in the early 70's from Going Bros at Southend (the Brown coloured one), and from Sport & Leisure (the black one). I had one of each, sold on as many have been.
Peter Bagnall was the man who designed the rod for Abu, and he demonstrated the rod, and used it to set records at the South & South-East England Shore Casting association, which eventually became the UKSF. The spigotted later rods were rubbish by comparison with the original 484/464, many records were set, both FS and Multi, the late great Nigel Forrest of Ipswich setting many, and retiring as no 1 with a 213yd 6oz record cast. I watched Paul Kerry practising casting with a Conolon after setting up the court about 1978 on the Saturday, when he hit 251yards with 150g on 0.40mm line, he was disappointed with beating Terry Carrolls 231 with a 239, a new record, after hitting 251 the previous day. The following year he hit 241yds with the conoflex 240T semicarbon, and set a new SA record a short while later with a 260+ on the new 0.35mm line.

PTR
Nice one PTR - I said you'd know more and you didn't let me down....:notworthy
Mart.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That screw joint is called a ferrule, nearly all rods were joined with them in the past.

I had a 484 with a cork for some time and it fished very well, landing some good fish in the Bristol Channel, until there alloy butt got some corrosion under the reel seat and broke, I replaced this with a shorter carbon butt also fitted fuji rings, making it ideal for fishing the strong tides at Clevedon Pier, still in use and catching fish after 35 years.
Matched with a vintage ABU 7000, it has the grunt to winch a 2 lb fish straight up, no need to handline it up the pier.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry ive replied late guys, boke my hand punching a wall last week (in anger :headhurt::wallbash::uhuh:) so i was up the hosptial yesterday :( thank you all very much for your info and this will help me out alot! just waitng for a nice one to pop up on ebay for arround £60 then ill be one my way :') should be back fishing in two weeks by the way :clap2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.