World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these reels any good. Never handled one till today. The Yanks seem to love them and they look well made but can't seem to find any feed back from owners on them. Anyone know of any problems or what's the back up like.
The reels am looking at are the Accurate Boss Magnum Twin Drag B-870XM

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Are these reels any good. Never handled one till today. The Yanks seem to love them and they look well made but can't seem to find any feed back from owners on them. Anyone know of any problems or what's the back up like.
The reels am looking at are the Accurate Boss Magnum Twin Drag B-870XM
:clap2: I have 4, the oldest is about 8 years old. The newest is about 2 years old. Fantastic reels but like a bit of TLC. The twin drag system is fantastic but unless you fish abroad you can get cheaper reels to do the job, Avets and Shimano's for example. I have 3 of the Boss reels, a 270, a 270-2 speed, an 870-2 speed and a Platignum 12-2 speed. Used them in hot countries where the fish run hard and some drags suffer, but not Accurates. Just look after them and maintain them. :clap2:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Norm. Thinking of buying 8 for the boats. Our reels get used 5 to 6 days a week so we strip them down every other week for a clean and lub.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
standard 2 speed avets would have plenty of drag for uk fishing I reckon, those twin drags are meant to be used with hard running fish and 80lb+ braid aint they?? it'd save you a bundle aswell
the twin drag avet equivelant is the raptor by the way, but again it's just a lot of drag
Not knocking the boss's though, Mr Dale in norway showed me his, stunning. Could use it attached to the front of his van to pull him out of snow drifts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got three of these myself. Boss Magnum versions in 870 (2 speed - 7000 size), 270 (2 speed - 6000 size) and a 197xc (5000 size). To be honest you could use the smallest (197xc) for the heaviest fishing you are likely to encounter in UK waters (and would probably carry enough braid without mono backing), the drags are that capable and they are seriously robust. On that basis the bigger reels are probably over kill but they balance better with heavier rods (the 197 size is very small). I use my 197xc on a 6/12 or 12/20 with 20lb braid, the 270 with 12/20 or 20/30 with 30lb braid and the 870 with 20/30 or heavier with 40lb braid. Depends what rod combinations I'm using and the fishing. Even though these are over gunned for most UK applications they are a pleasure to use, the drag is very smooth, all the more so when well under its rating. They make hauling lead very easy. Personally If buying again I would consider whether the two speed function is required (don't use it much) as the gears are so strong that you can wind up without it and its both something else to go wrong and adds to the cost of the reels. All the same its nice to have.

I picked mine up about 4-5 years ago from the states when the exchange rate was $2>£1 and also found a very reasonably priced seller. Got all 3 delivered for less than £750 (redundancy present). There is of course the customs issue to consider when importing.

Depending on application I would say that the 270 size (not sure what the equivalent would be in the new models) would be a pretty good compromise and would do everything pretty well loaded with appropriate braid.

Since having them i've heard that they are sensitive to correct maintenance, I have just made sure that they are washed of with fresh water and are dry before putting them away. They are sprayed internally and externally with CorrsionX, moving parts are oiled with ReelX and greased with Cal's Universal Reel & Star Drag Grease. All these items can be bought direct from accurate and are items they use when they service their reels. There is a servicing instruction video on their site. Mine are still like new.

So if you've got the cash they would make a great reel for the boat. There are also alternative lever drag reels in the Daiwa saltist, saltiga, Shimano Talica, Torsa, Everol, Avets models in the same space as the accurates but i'm happy with what I have. If you need any more info or any photos (for sizing indication) let me know.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the help lads. Am base on the French Atlantic. We get some pretty big Tuna and Cod down here. Conga upto plus some large Sharks so need a reel that's strong and reliable. We keep our reels for about 3 years and then sell on and replace.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Cheers for the help lads. Am base on the French Atlantic. We get some pretty big Tuna and Cod down here. Conga upto plus some large Sharks so need a reel that's strong and reliable. We keep our reels for about 3 years and then sell on and replace.
:clap2: See if you can get a trade account or your boat sponsored by Accurate. :clap2:

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Well I`m a competitors distributor in UK but Accurate reels are superb can`t really go wrong, bit of TLC and they could last a lot longer than 3 years.

Forget Shimano & Penn, Avet etc (nowt wrong with them, well the older Penns anyway) but for reliability and longevity you draw a line over them and move up a light year or two to Accurate, Duel, Everol, Alutecnoss (not in any order, all superb, not just superb, the best you can get to be honest) :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rep is trying to get me to open a account with him. Been using Penns and daiwa for years with very few problems. Just wondering how the alloy will hold up the the saltwater being used 4 to 5 days a week over the next couple of years.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The rep is trying to get me to open a account with him. Been using Penns and daiwa for years with very few problems. Just wondering how the alloy will hold up the the saltwater being used 4 to 5 days a week over the next couple of years.
Have a word with Paolo at Everol, Stan M isn't the UK agent for fun. If you kept them for 40-50 years, you'd still be able to get spares

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Thanks Codhead and Stan m. Rep's coming back tomorrow for a chat might see if i can get some added values included.
My Everol VJ12 will be in my coffin with me

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The Alutecnos 50Ws and 80Ws I have used on the Cape Verde boats I chartered in no way held up to heavy charter use as well as Tiagras. Not impressed with them at all. When chartering that vessel I now make sure that tiagras are on the boat.

I have not used an accurate reel personally but would strongly recommend any potential buyer speak to multiple owners who have used them hard. In particular, familiarize yourself with the recommended maintenance requirements/schedule as this appears to be the down side to their impressive drag capabilities. The fishing culture of Southern California where they originate from is known for "hot rodding" reels for higher performance and as with any tweaked out motor the penalty for increased performance is that you need to be very on top of things mechanically.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update.
After a lot of thought and many cups of coffee with a couple of the other charter bosses this morning it turned out only one boat is using the reels but because it's only been 2 weeks he didn't want to evaluate on them yet. I've nearly made up my mind. As am still waiting for the Accurate rep to turn up, meant to be here a 10am. Jean Paul our Shimano rep popped in with a new price guide catalogue. After a few more coffee's again i ended up ordering 4 Tyrnos 30 and
3 Tiagra 50 reels. They look like quality reels, fingers crossed ive done the right thing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts