World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Ive now decided to keep the Merry Fisher as im sticking with my shift work.

I have just brought an add a battery kit to install on my boat. I already have a battery connected to an isolator switch and these look pretty easy to install but me and electrics dont mix.

I have the second battery in situ and just wondering what other cables, terminal ends i will need to buy? Or better yet if anyone has installed one of these in the hampshire area and wants to earn some extra cash for an hours work then send me a message.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I installed one of these last year - check the wiring diagram - you need extra battery cables (I renewed all mine with tinned cable whilst I was at it), terminals for the ends of the battery cables, you need a borrow a tool for attaching them (I borrowed a hydraulic press), extra cable (it gives the spec on the diagram) a couple of fuse holders and fuses and a negative bus bar helps with keeping everything tidy and not having loads of negative cables on a battery terminal. I'm not really good at electrics either but managed OK - took me the best part of a day to install everything though - I doubt even a pro-electrician could do it in an hour.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed one of these last year - check the wiring diagram - you need extra battery cables (I renewed all mine with tinned cable whilst I was at it), terminals for the ends of the battery cables, you need a borrow a tool for attaching them (I borrowed a hydraulic press), extra cable (it gives the spec on the diagram) a couple of fuse holders and fuses and a negative bus bar helps with keeping everything tidy and not having loads of negative cables on a battery terminal. I'm not really good at electrics either but managed OK - took me the best part of a day to install everything though - I doubt even a pro-electrician could do it in an hour.
Thanks for the reply.

I think ive got my head round it now and have already ordered some extra 25mm and 10mm canle along with lugs and the most costly, a fricking heavy duty cripmer. Just one question, can i bridge the negative battery terminals instead of feeding both to a bus bar and use my exsisting common thats in place?

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Yes you could but bear in mind you also have to have a cable going to the engine, one going to the VCR and one going to the house load (possible another going to a bilge pump if you have an auto pump) so it's a lot of connections on the battery terminals - a bus bar makes a much neater job of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I fitted one recently (along with a are fuse box) with a sparky mate who is handy with his 12V and it took us half a day to install, making a diagram made it so much easier!

If you have a local friendly chandler pop down with your diagram as I did and get all your cables cut to size, crimped and labelled up. I did bridge my negative battery terminals but installed at the same time a Blue Sea fuse box which had an integrated bus bar (see below).

Si

Sorry, just seen you've already bought the cables and crimper.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fitted one recently (along with a are fuse box) with a sparky mate who is handy with his 12V and it took us half a day to install, making a diagram made it so much easier!

If you have a local friendly chandler pop down with your diagram as I did and get all your cables cut to size, crimped and labelled up. I did bridge my negative battery terminals but installed at the same time a Blue Sea fuse box which had an integrated bus bar (see below).

Si

Sorry, just seen you've already bought the cables and crimper.
Thanks for the reply. I do have a fuse box already, i have just brought a separate bus bar. Unfortunately our chandlers in Portsmouth has just closed down due to illness. Still i think i have cracked it, just awaiting for the Blue Sea Kit to arrive now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help lads. Installed this the weekend and works a treat. I did however follow another diagram as when wired this way it negates the need for a switch to stop draw coming from the vsr when turned off. Highly recommend the kit. Did cost a pretty penny though after buying tools and cable etc. I have uploaded the diagram i followed if anyone is interested.
image.png

1 - 7 of 7 Posts