World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every month that I read Sea Angler and Total SF, and when I visit my local fishing shop I see adverts for additives such as ULTRABITE and BERKLEY GULP BAITS. Classing myself as a novice, can anyone shed any light on these products. Has anyone tried and tested them?
I am interested in any comments, pos or neg?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Taff

Some of the additives can be useful and then there are others that are not great... I have never tried the gulp yet..although there are some that think it is good.... the bait attractors like like pilchard/crab oil can have there uses... and can catch fish ... some people even use wd40 as it catches fish.... it is a case of wait and see or to try it yourself ans see how you get on with it..

by the way are you ex-rn or still serving?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi again

Have you fished from the Portsmouth Dockyard? as there are some good places to catch big bass, I had a 10 bass from middle slip when tied up on a ship..I used steak from the galley as bait. If you want a club the navy's own fishing club is good and has quite a few comps too.

I am ex navy left in 88 after ten years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the Pompey area is quite good, and a lot of matelots do hang off the quarter deck at night fishing, especially towards the end of the month when no one's got any money to go down town.
I have recently enquired about the RN fishing club and I'm joining them next week, only £5 membership fee.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
As fish spend half each day in the dark and many in the dark of deep water they hunt much of the time by smell. Peeler crab is renowned as a bait because the moulting crab gives off what must be a potent attractant. The fish can detect just a few parts per million of these scents so it makes sense to try to get them to swim up a trail of attractant to your hookbait. Boat fishermen use 'rubby-dubby' to attract the 'shark' types, made from ground up fish (mackeral/herring) mixed with bran and hang it in an onion sack behind the boat or attached to the anchor rope. This releases bits of 'eats' down the tide. I think it works a little like the smell from a chippy or a hotdog van on tired, blanked fisher-people walking home!

For shore fishing you can use a fresh water swim-feeder which is essentially a 2" perforated, plastic tube (or make your own from an empty 35mm film canister) attached to your line (some come with weights attached) I often use a Method feeder. Mix up your groundbait (finely cut up mackies mixed with breadcrumb groundbait from fresh water tackle shops. I also add pelleted sea based food) and mixed with one of the Fish oils available. I use sardine oil but also ULTRABITE! Beware it really stinks and spreads big time! Don't mix it indoors, you will not be popular, and always carry a rag to wipe your hands rather than wipe them on your clothes!! Take great care when disposing of the little plastic vial that it comes in, the little drop left will stick to your clothes like the proverbial to a blanket!! Mix the groundbait a little dry and stiff so that it will 'explode' into the sea when you've cast it in, don't mix it so it resembles putty as it will stay in the feeder unless you're lucky to have hungry crabs about! The other method i've used is to soak compressed cotton (bought from the chemist) in a sardine oil/ultrabite mixture and actually tie it to my bait with bait elastic. I swear it attracts Doggies particularly in winter.

The artificial baits that are now available are usually attractants held in a soluble gel (gelatine) This is why they eventually dissolve - 'Fish and Strips' does this. Significantly the 'lugworm' strips dissolve quickest and, guess what, i've found them to be the most productive!!! No idea what the Berkley Gulp (what a name!) are made from but I will be trying them! I must say I laughed when I saw the curious shapes - they are obviously to attarct us as we are likely to use them for much of the time either in the dark or at night!

I have not found any of them, or my own concoctions, to be perfect but I do catch regularly. In other words if I am using frozen anything, then they get the additions. However I see no reason to 'gild-the-lily' when I've got live eels or Peelers!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts