·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a mess
002.jpg
003.jpg
006.jpg
In a lot of places the beach has been stripped down to the clay base.
Interesting to know what has happened below the low water line & what all this will do to the fishing.

JB

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks JB, very interesting. It must have some effect but what?

I've been told that the beach at Hells Mouth has also changed considerably but not seen it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Thanks for pictures wow that is a mess, i just been looking at some pictures of what it should look like and did not look like that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was that clean sand previously?
Pretty much. Always a patch of rough where the Daron goes in & the odd boulders closer to the cliff. Usually, only a few inches of the wooden piles are showing.
Looks very fishy to me.
Let's hope so.

JB

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thats not a good sight. That beach is very popular with holiday makers, I hope the sands dont take too long to return...one of my favourite places on the planet. Thanks for putting the pics up.
Cheers,
Ian

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,490 Posts
Thats not a good sight. That beach is very popular with holiday makers, I hope the sands dont take too long to return...one of my favourite places on the planet. Thanks for putting the pics up.
Cheers,
Ian
It is indeed a wonderful place.....

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
looks like excellent bass ground.

your south side beaches might be suffereing the same effect we get locally on the northeast coast.

if we get prollonged spells of strong s/e winds, it actually sucks the sand from our beaches. a spell of good northerlies though, puts it back. we've had a lot of s/e winds this winter which has left a lot of our local beaches in a bad way.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The last fortnight has seen a fair bit of sand come back on to that stretch. To the east of the river, the sand & fine gravel have been piled up against the sea defences in front of the village & the church. There isn't enough height to stand up under the pub's veranda.

JB

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When they changed the access last year, a lot of local lads said that launching from that stretch wasn't a great idea. You wouldn't get over the rocks with a tractor at the moment.

JB

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Yes, I launch with a landrover and used the new slipway from july till the end of September when they took it up, I found it great to use, and very convenient, but if the beach dosen't sand up, it will be very difficult to launch and it will require a lot of rock shifting.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Thanks JB, very interesting. It must have some effect but what?

I've been told that the beach at Hells Mouth has also changed considerably but not seen it.
Hells Mouth was ripped to pieces in the storm, big shifts of rubble and sand leaving some new gullies and filling other features, i thought it would take an age for it to settle down but even after just a couple of calmer weeks the beach is settling down and the new features are far less severe as they are filling with sand and shingle, it is a very different beach still though, much steeper near HW and at low water the shifted sand appears to have shallowed the water for a fair way out. Very interesting though, i'm there most days walking the dogs and its been very interesting watching the beach develop.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tried my luck at Aberdaron last night fishing the new rough ground to the west of the river. HW about 8 pm. Casting from the broken slipway into the rough and over the rough onto the sand. Variety of bait. Not a nibble.

Big changes still taking place day on day.

JB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts