World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
They should have a sizing chart, but the best way is to visit the shop if possible and try a few on with both summer and winter clothes on.
If you are getting a PFD at the same time try getting a discount for getting two at the same time, if they don't just walk away.
Lomo boots are good, but allow at least one size bigger than normal shoes.
Thank you, and thanks to everyone else also. All advice is really appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, I've inherited a kayak called a ocean prowler 13. It seems to have been customized a little.

I've done a fair bit of research on the safety side of things and I understand the weather and tides and I plan on meeting up with other kayak fishermen and hopefully making some friends. I live near Filey Brigg and plan on fishing the bay.

Does it matter that it's old? And how old is it? Is it a complete dinosaur? Or will it be an ok entry level?

Is it safer to sell it and buy a new one that I know the history of?

Thanks for your time.

You need some glasses mate ha ha . Look at the writing on the hull. It's a Big Game. a big heavy kayak. Not ideal for transporting. A very good kayak though. Big and seaworthy, safe as houses.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You need some glasses mate ha ha . Look at the writing on the hull. It's a Big Game. a big heavy kayak. Not ideal for transporting. A very good kayak though. Big and seaworthy, safe as houses.
Hi,

Haha As I said previously I got mixed up with the ones I was looking on Ebay and had that stuck in my mind when writing this post.

Yeah the kayak is pretty big and it's a bit of a pain putting it on my roof rack on my own. Doesn't help that I've got a big van to be fair.

Maybe I shouldn't have paid £550 on a drysuit if it's that safe! Lol

·
Registered
574 Posts
Alex, if you already have a dry suit then great, if not, one to look out for on Ebay is a "winchman" suit used by helicopter crews. Made by a company called Survitec if memory serves me right. They are very robust suits and cost over £1k but if you are lucky they come up for less than £200 (in new condition). Ive managed to get 3 of them from £75 which is a giveaway. Bright orange for visibility and a bit heavy but very good. Plenty of pockets, pee zip and elbow / knee pads

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Alex, if you already have a dry suit then great, if not, one to look out for on Ebay is a "winchman" suit used by helicopter crews. Made by a company called Survitec if memory serves me right. They are very robust suits and cost over £1k but if you are lucky they come up for less than £200 (in new condition). Ive managed to get 3 of them from £75 which is a giveaway. Bright orange for visibility and a bit heavy but very good. Plenty of pockets, pee zip and elbow / knee pads
Hi,

Thanks for your message but I've just ordered a Typhoon PS330.

Now I'm looking at fishfinders and GPS - expensive hobby!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Anglersafloat used to be a cracking forum (I've been a member since its start), but then there was various fallings out between posters and quite a few of the original members left. Oh and one of the biggest conflicts on there was caused by the AT getting involved with the forum(it created a lot of bad feelings and i dont think the site really was the same again after).
I rarely go on there now apart from on the odd occasion to see if anything has changed much, I think most of the posters who left ended up in groups on fb instead.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Been on AA for years, just dont get involved in the tat. Still very informative and the archived stuff is worth reading up on if you get bored. I rarely use the yak now and not been on it since september last year. Always pop into the site though

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a BG for a number of years and yes thay are big and yes they are super stable and yes they are not the fastest kayak (although mine was as I fitted a Torqeedo kayak motor ) but I can tell you they are a cracking kayak. You need a bit of a technique to load on top of the car but I am a lot older than you and I could handle it on my own with no problem at all.

You need to be careful around Filey Brigg area, great fishing but dangerous if you do not know the conditions very well. There was a great forum which was based in Yorkshire and we all fished that area and most of the guys were north of the Humber so had far better experience of the Yorky coast than myself.

A really good kayak dealer in Hull will look after you called First Wet n Wild, loads of experience and lovely people.

I live just south of the Humber and if I can help you at all, let me know.

Phil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had a BG for a number of years and yes thay are big and yes they are super stable and yes they are not the fastest kayak (although mine was as I fitted a Torqeedo kayak motor ) but I can tell you they are a cracking kayak. You need a bit of a technique to load on top of the car but I am a lot older than you and I could handle it on my own with no problem at all.

You need to be careful around Filey Brigg area, great fishing but dangerous if you do not know the conditions very well. There was a great forum which was based in Yorkshire and we all fished that area and most of the guys were north of the Humber so had far better experience of the Yorky coast than myself.

A really good kayak dealer in Hull will look after you called First Wet n Wild, loads of experience and lovely people.

I live just south of the Humber and if I can help you at all, let me know.

Phil
Hi Phill

Thanks for your message and your opinion/advice.

I think a car would be easier to load the kayak than my van as the roofrack is a lot higher.

I agree with you about filey, I regularly fish the brigg from the rocks and often watch other kayakers as to where there paddling and the state of the tide and wind direction ect. I try to learn what I can but really I would like to go out with someone else that has a bit of experience.

Ideally I would like to go out with someone that isn't in a rush as me and my kayak might be a bit slow lol.

Appreciate the tip with the kayak dealer.

I live near Driffield but I'm new to the area so dont know any other kayakers or fishermen or anyone really haha.

If your planning a trip near me let me know

Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
I only have a surf kayak nowadays Alex so can't help you trip wise but happy to help with any issues you have with the kayak. On my stretch of the Humber out from Cleethorpes, it is a cracking place to find your feet as the water is calm to slight chop, easy launch / recovery and shallow so a safe place to learn how to self rescue. I can help you with that if you want to come over once you have your drysuit and I am pleased you ordered a Typhoon, cannot go wrong with them.

Palm pfd are as good as it gets and I still have a few in the garage. At First Wet n Wild, Fiona who owns and runs the business is a lovely girl and knows her stuff so a good place to try on a few pfd's because they don't all suit everyone. One thing with a Big Game is having a good paddle because these are big ole girls so paddle selection is important and a cranked paddle I found was a huge advantage as the paddle needs to be longer as the kayak is wider and getting a good efficient paddle stroke really helps. Cranked paddles are expensive so don't jump into buying one without good guidence from someone like Fiona.

As a matter of interest you can ask her if she can put you onto kayak anglers in the area as many go there.

Phil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I only have a surf kayak nowadays Alex so can't help you trip wise but happy to help with any issues you have with the kayak. On my stretch of the Humber out from Cleethorpes, it is a cracking place to find your feet as the water is calm to slight chop, easy launch / recovery and shallow so a safe place to learn how to self rescue. I can help you with that if you want to come over once you have your drysuit and I am pleased you ordered a Typhoon, cannot go wrong with them.

Palm pfd are as good as it gets and I still have a few in the garage. At First Wet n Wild, Fiona who owns and runs the business is a lovely girl and knows her stuff so a good place to try on a few pfd's because they don't all suit everyone. One thing with a Big Game is having a good paddle because these are big ole girls so paddle selection is important and a cranked paddle I found was a huge advantage as the paddle needs to be longer as the kayak is wider and getting a good efficient paddle stroke really helps. Cranked paddles are expensive so don't jump into buying one without good guidence from someone like Fiona.

As a matter of interest you can ask her if she can put you onto kayak anglers in the area as many go there.

Phil
I've already got my PFD - I got a NRS raku.

Good tip with the paddle, I've only got the one I was given with the kayak. I will take a picture of it shortly.

Thanks for the offer and I will let you know if I can get down to Cleethorpes.

Cheers Phil

21 - 35 of 35 Posts