World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to one and all, this is my first post on the forum and I would appreciate a bit of advise on the tides. This is our first season on our Wilson Flyer, we launch at Christchurch Quay, there are usually 3 or 4 of us fishing, all of us novices. So far we have caught a few mackeral and a couple of dogfish just off Hengisbury Head but the 3 times we have been out its been blowing a bit and we have had to retire early.
My question is do the fish only feed at certain times of the tide? Someone told me that the best time is 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide and after that its a waste of time. If thats true is it best to move on to Poole and try fishing for flat fish at low tide?
We dont want to go out too far untill we learn the basics and hope to catch bream or bass in and around Christchurch Bay.
Any advise much appreciated, me thinks there's more to this fishing lark than I first thought!

G

·
Different fish will feed at different states of the tide. When wreck fishing it usually drops off dramatically as the tide run stops and will then pick up again as the tide starts to flow the other way. This is the time to try different methods for different fish. If on a wreck you could try anchoring it for conger or ling.
I have not found the same drop off in bites when ground fishing although it may vary from area to area

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
When i was out ray fishing the other week,we had good fish,2hours before,and after high tide,then it went very poor with just doggies,but as Terry says,depends what you are fishing for,as different fish,have different feeding patterns.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A couple of hours either side of slack water (high or low) is normally the optimum time but this can vary depending on the height of the tide and depth you are fishing in.

Each mark has its own peculiarities and you cannot dictate a hard and fast rule.

Get out there and give it a go, keep a diary and look for a pattern emerging.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips, we are going out again this Friday if the wind is not too strong. I see that high tide is around 4pm at Christchurch so would the 'ledge' be the place to be from 1pm onwards, trying for bass and bream?
Before that we would like to try for flatties, is it worth shooting over to Poole to try the sandbanks in front of the harbour or is there a better spot nearby?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
A couple of hours either side of slack water (high or low) is normally the optimum time but this can vary depending on the height of the tide and depth you are fishing in.

Each mark has its own peculiarities and you cannot dictate a hard and fast rule.

Get out there and give it a go, keep a diary and look for a pattern emerging.

Spot on advice IMHO :clap3:

Don`t read too much into this tide game, fish often turn up when you think they shouldn`t.

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts