World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Myself and my 7 year old son have just taken up sea fishing and would be very grateful if any one can suggest good (& safe) marks around the Bristol area. Advice on bait and tides as well would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
hi paul,

how far from bristol are you prepared to travel?
the safest venues would be sea walls, piers etc.
the sea walls at clevedon and burnham can be fished either side of high water on the bigger tides.piers can be fished at any time but are probably harder for a beginner to get to grips with.
the beach at burnham is relatively easy on small to medium tides.
allways fish new venues in daylight a few times and keep and eye on the incoming tide as it can creep in behind you.

hope this helps, tight lines.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dicky - Would you recommend any particular Pier - Is there one at Clevedon?

As for bait, king rag?

Thanks for your help, I mainly fly fish and so this is totally new for me.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
clevedon pier is o.k.
the only problem with it is it is a long way up and landing a decent fish requires the use of a drop net.there is a large one there for anglers to use but they are not easy.you would find it easier of the sea wall over high water.
if you are prepared to travel Watchet or Minehead harbour walls are o.k.
as for bait use rag/lug cocktailed with squid or macky.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dicky - appreciate the advice and will try the sea wall. I will let you know if lady luck is kind to me.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Paul the rookie,
all the marks mentioned are pretty good but if you want your 7 year old to cast out and catch a fish try New Passage. You will need lugworm, about 1/2pound should be enough for a 3-4 hour session, any longer and your child will probably of had enough. The place to fish is on the other side of the river on the flood plain between the 2 Severn crossing bridges. You will have to walk for about 15 minutes. You will need to walk to the far end of the shooting range hill. It is a muddy surface but not bad. Don't venture onto the mud flats as the tide goes out it will be too deep. I wear chest waders to do this. There are small ditches to cross but with a little care you will be OK. Only go in daylight with your child. Find somewhere where the waters edge has a near vertical drop, it is easier to fish. Pick a high tide of no higher than 12.5m and no lower than 11m. I use a 3/0 pennel rig clipped down but close in you do not need to clip the bait down. This mark is near enough to Bristol for you to go and have a look without your fishing tackle. You can decide whether to fish it or not then. Most people fish on the corner and catch nothing! I'll be there Thursday afternoon at about 2ish fishing till about 7. I'll let you know what I have caught on Friday. Before you go I would get your child a bouyancy aid it is not only warmer but does offer some added safety. I have never seen a freak wave at New Passage but I have seen some at other venues. For about £25 it has got to be worth it.

cheers
Martin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic Martin - I really appreciate the advice. I would be really grateful if you could answer a couple more questions vis this mark.

- Is New Passage on the Welsh side of the bridge (maps don't mark it clearly) ?
- Tide...fish a couple of hours either side of high tide?
- What are the principal quarry at this mark? Cod.. flatties?

Unfortunately, my mother is coming up tomorrow otherwise I would come and join you, but would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks again.

Paul

·
Registered
133 Posts
New Passage is on the English side. It is the other side of the new Bristol channel crossing to Severn beach close to Aust. I fished it yesterday and caught 3 codling each about 2 pounds in weight. My friend fished the concrete corner and didn't have a bite. There were 3 others there and they didn't get a bite as well. My friend spoke to them and said that I was his mate and they remarked that it was a long way to walk. Still they didn't catch and I did. Back to the fishing. The first coding was caught at long distance. I pendulum cast and can do over 200yards on dry land so I do mean at a good distance. This was caught about 1 1/2 hours before top of tide. The next was caught close in 20 yards? at the top af the tide and the latter close in about 1 hour down. They are close in and feed amongst the grass. All the fish were returned alive. I think there will be enough to eat over the next few days.
With the right conditions i.e. time of year you can catch cod, whiting, flatties, eels, bass and if you want to try for a conger the concrete corner can be a good place to try. I have seen massive shoals of mullet but never tried to fish for them. Now that we are going into January the cod generally move out you need to remember this for November next year. It will probably be worth a try over the next few weeks but the tides are not the best. January the 1st and 2nd should be just OK.
I will start to venture further west usually on the welsh side past Penarth.

have a good christmas eveeryone and tight lines in the new year.

Martin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Martin - Hope you have a great Christmas...I am going off to mull over the feat of casting 200yards...

Thanks again.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts