World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise that I'm probably not going to be very popular with most of you experienced shore fishermen as I'm one of those complete novices who has never done shore fishing before but wants to come to the seaside for the weekend and have a go, and'll probably crowd your spot and get in your way in the process! Would anyone then be able to answer my question of what would be the best cheap gear for a couple of times fishing in North Devon area? What laws govern shore fishing? Do you need a permit? Or a permit for a pier; harbour;etc? Cheers.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome to WSF bud.
We all started somewhere so the first thing is don`t be afraid to ask questions.
We`ll all try our best to answer.

Re. tackle.
Have a look in one of the sea fishing mags. Sea Angler or Total Sea Fishing.
The adverts in there will give you an idea of cost etc.
If you`re not sure about which set up will suit you,just ask.
Ron Thompson do some very good value rod and reel combinations and are usually a good starting place.All the main tackle dealers will have them.
There is no such thing as a license to fish from the shore....yet.
There have been noises coming from the Government about introducing one and there have been several posts on this forum about the situation.
Where to fish depends on where you are,,,we have forums that cover all of the UK and Great Britain so have a look around the forums bud.
Another good way in is to chat to fisherman on the shore .The vast majority are only happy to help,there may be the odd grumpy sod :) ,say thanks and walk away.
As I said before ,have a look around the site,ask questions and we`ll all be more than happy to help.
Welcome aboard,
Terry F.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Forgot to say bud,
Some piers do charge for access and not all allow fishing but ask around.
Terry F.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Terry for your kind words. That's loads answered, and I'll take your advice and start browsing the forums now. Cheers, Hoggy.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
hi and welcome to sea fishing im onky a amutur/ novis my self but i ahev been fishing a while but for a good rod starter u want to get a rod wich can cast a 2-4 oz wight it will say this on the part of the ord where the real goes in called a but hope u do not meat any grumpy fishaman just ask your locol taclet shop what u need nut dont be a foul if he says how much are u willing to spend dont just say o about £80 other wise he'll take advanteg juts get a rod and reel with line on the reel if u can for £30 a little box to keep your stuff in and acouple of pack or traces eg 3 hook palnoster for a bout £1.50 and try to copy them and oslos get live bait eg rag worm that will give a much better chance or a fish oslo get some swivols i spelt that wrong sorry dont know how to spellit and some amercan clip to clip the trace on or wight well happy fishing how u meat some people on your way :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi hoggy

welcome to wsf ..hope you enjoy your time here. we are all ready to give any advice and help we can.

Have a look in your local tackle shop or view one on line here are a few sites

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/diary/tackleshops/essex.html

http://www.bandtc.co.uk/index.php?page=shopping&shop_cat_id=199

there are major tackle shops on line like Veals who do a mail order service

http://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Veals_Catalogue_Combos_16.html

Have a look at these combo deals you might find a rod that you like at the right price too....

I hope this helps you?

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi hoggy,
if your going to north devon i would suggest that you go to ilfracombe, there is a really good tackle shop close to the harbour.
plenty of fishing spots either from the pier or follow the walk way out to capstone point, good fishing there generally with either a float, or feathers for mackeral and garfish or once you can cast a bit try on the bottom with a running ledger , usually dogfish around.
you can get bait from the tackle shop
good luck and let me know how you get on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts