World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a month I have constantly been changing my mind about giving fishing off the beach a go. I have decided to give it a go and I am thinking about giving it go this weekend. Just got myself a cheap rod n reel and live in Beltine (near Herne Bay). I am kind of hoping for rain so there are less people walking around to witness the pathetic spectacle of me trying to fish in the sea for the first time. I am going to head to the area that I think is called The Rand as it is at the end of my road pretty much.

Does anyone have any advice to keep me from being a total narner?

I have a 12 foot rod with 20lb line with a 2 hook flapper and and a 4oz breakaway. I was assured at a fishing shop I would not need a shock leader if I stuck to this on the first trip.

Any advice on bait would be good too.

I will most likely spend 90% of the time untangling stuff and swearing at the seaguls but I need to take the plunge and I will treat casting out about 40 yards and coming home with most of my kit intact a success.

Any advice would be fab! :cc_surren

·
Registered
236 Posts
with a 4 oz lead i would put a 40lb shock leader on mate... we dont want to kill anyone on our first time out now, do we? (unless it's a jet skier of course.) not sure where you want to fish but i suggest ragworm or lugworm on a 2 hook flapper and fish the tide up two hours and an hour down. good luck. oh, and mate. a 40lb stingray came off the beach at herne bay a while ago!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The guy in that shop should be shot ! Shock leader is necessary if you don't want to be sued, especially considering the fact that you are a newcomer to beach casting, if you crack off the lead can go a couple of hundred yards in any direction. 10lb for each ounce of lead used. I always use at least 50lb from the beach.
Welcome to the site by the way, you will get better advice from here than you will from that shop.:thumbs:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent! Many thanks!

I now have my 50lb shock leader and will be putting it on in advance. Do you reccomend a Uni Knot, Blood Knot or some other knot?

I won't be taking advice from that shop again. At this point I will make clear the shop was not in or around Herne Bay. In fact the shop I went to in Herne Bay today echoed your advice and sorted me out with the 50lb line. I will be putting on enough to ready the cast plus about 8+ turns around the reel.

I hope no massive stingray or things with savage teeth take my bait. I will take some chain mail in preporation!... and a towel, as Douglas Adams would suggest.:2:

If you get a stingray what is the best way to deal with it? Keep the rear-end as far away as poss and have a go at getting the hook out?

Many thanks!

J

·
Registered
236 Posts
i wouldn't worry about catching a stingray too much mate. as for tying a shock leader i suggest you search this site or google it as there are many ways to do it. i am sure someone on here will put their two bobs worth in tho.

·
Premium Member
26,396 Posts
Has no one mentioned the weed? There's a bit of it about around Herne Bay. Just come home from feathering at Hampton and Reculver, it was bad :cry:. If you hook into something heavy on your first cast, don't get too excited.

Best of luck anyway.

Don.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weed! Is it any good for sushi? Just kiddin'!

I will refrain from getting excited. From what I read I am not expecting much other than the odd shopping bag!

ashLEY - I have some 15lb on a carp rod. I shall do the swap.

What other spots are there in the area that might be worth a go?

Many thanks again!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
If ya got wheels then i'd prob punt for sandwch bay and around that area, if ya fish by the chequers pub its deeper water n ya may well catch something there.

Or, of course u could go up the end of ya road n haul out a stinger n prove me wrong lol (beginners luck n all that)

Always use a shockleader, 10lb per oz of lead, better safe than sorry (there's advice on leader knots on the TSF bit on this site, bit complicated spider hitch but then just do an overhand loop n uni knot, its a REALLY strong knot n worth spending time learning it)

Good luck n look forward to hearing of epic battles with giant fish of any kind:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts