World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i need some help and i think this is the best place to ask coz yous are all experienced in the area im going to be fishing.
I want a lure rod but have never done this kind of fishing before and its hard picking the correct rod and reel as there is so many different varieties from light rock fishing to bass rods? Is a bass rod only good for bass?
Il start with rods.
• what casting weight do i need?
• what length?
I like watching slippy limpets. And want to do that kind of fishing (from rock marks all the way up the northeast coast) but i want to target lots of different fish with the same rod if thats possible?
Iv seen videos what say the rods that can cast heavier weights havnt got a light enough tip for the smaller lures but are ideal for the snaggy ground?
I guess I want an allrounder. Ideally something I can fit into a small case to chuck over my shoulder so i can climb down into good rocky areas.

Now reels.
I know i need a smaller reel then I use for beachcasting. I need something small to balance nicely on the light rod.
But something that will still handle a big fish. I think maybe size 3000-4000 but if anyone thinks different please say. I like shimano reels because most of the research i do on reels ends with shimano beeing best. But i also like penn and diawa.
If possible i would like to spend a max of £250 on rod and reel.
If anyone can reccomend a rod and reel combo they use or a 1 which would suit the northeast i would appreciate it.
Also if anyone can tell me what size reel is suited and what casting weight rod, and the reasons why I should go for that casting weight it would be massively appreciated.
Thanks in advance, mick

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not my cup of bovril this type of fishing but im sure someone will point you in the right direction. Otherwise, maybe slip this slippylimpet a messsge and ask what gear they use.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha cheers jlr. I just wanted something I can do for a quick, light weight, no fuss just a rod and a pocket full of lures session . inbetween my propper bait and beachcaster sessions. Have ye never watched slippy limpets on youtube? Haha hey its canny good give it a try sometime mate

·
Registered
233 Posts
Haha cheers jlr. I just wanted something I can do for a quick, light weight, no fuss just a rod and a pocket full of lures session . inbetween my propper bait and beachcaster sessions. Have ye never watched slippy limpets on youtube? Haha hey its canny good give it a try sometime mate
Im sure he use a major craft rated to 23gram rod so faily light. A 8-9 ft rod with a casting weight of 10-30 is a good start. I use vectura 9ft with 4000 shimano and find it perfect dont think you need a stiffer rod than that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im sure he use a major craft rated to 23gram rod so faily light. A 8-9 ft rod with a casting weight of 10-30 is a good start. I use vectura 9ft with 4000 shimano and find it perfect dont think you need a stiffer rod than that.
Thanks mate very helpfull, iv just been looking at a shimano stradic and that's a 4000 reel and looks reely good.
What Breaking strain braid would you use? I was thinking about 30lb with a floro leader

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks mate very helpfull, iv just been looking at a shimano stradic and that's a 4000 reel and looks reely good.
What Breaking strain braid would you use? I was thinking about 30lb with a floro leader
I use 20lb on my 30lb might be over kill on a sub 9ft. I have read nothing but good about the stradic.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Dont run bfor u can crawl . Get a cheap outfit and do some spinning for makerel in summer Once u get the hang of things and find decent marks for bass / pollock etc then buy a decent set up . Lure fishing isnt easy ..... especaily in the northeast

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks mate. I just thought 30 coz I use berkley whiplash and for some reason the diameter of the line is thinner then other braid with the same breaking strain?? God knows why.. will i be better off going by line diameter rather then breaking strain do you think? I just want something that will still cope with the rough ground or would i just use a longer leader? Thanks again c.n

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont run bfor u can crawl . Get a cheap outfit and do some spinning for makerel in summer Once u get the hang of things and find decent marks for bass / pollock etc then buy a decent set up . Lure fishing isnt easy ..... especaily in the northeast
Haha do you know what it is, iv been watching that slippy limpets on YouTube too much man and he makes it look sooooo easy haha catching decent sized fish all the time. Iv been telling me pall we should get a rod each and start catching massive pollock off the rocks lol excuse my overconfidence mate il come back to reality haha..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you reccomend a cheap but good setup(1 that isn't going to back after a few outings). That's the only reason I wanted to go for shimano coz they last longer then most iv used, thanks mate

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Lure fishing, the best way to spend loads of cash! I am not a sponsored angler, so if you see the same names coming up it is because they work not because I get sponsored by them.

My recommendations; yes for the Shimano, (I have two 4000 size exage) and I also have 2x Savage gear bushwhacker XLNT`s (10-40 and 20-60gm) https://www.northeasttackle.co.uk/pike-fishing-tackle-c15/pike-rods-c69/savage-gear-bushwhacker-xlnt2-spinning-rods-p1998
As for end tackle I would go for Texas rigged worms and paddle tails, see below.

WP_20181217_09_22_08_Pro.jpg

This is a worm/fluttertail lure the cone weight helps it slide through the kelp and the hook point is usually just nicked into the skin of the worm so it does not catch on weed and rock.

WP_20181217_09_23_02_Pro.jpg

These are paddle tails and better suited to slightly cleaner ground, bottom two (savage gear sandeel and sidewinder minnow) are not suited to casting but are OK in deep water, top (red gill evostix, comes with 3 weights and 2 hooks) can be rigged texas style or with a weighted head, cheburashka or weighted hook (see below).

WP_20181217_09_24_41_Pro.jpg

Sandeel slug (savage gear) and a curl tail with from top to bottom, nose weighted hook, Cheburashka (it needs an offset hook to rig it) and a keel weighted hook. Any nose weighted lure will obviously fall nose first, however it may not suit all styles of fishing so the keel weighted lure will tend to fall more horizontally. It has a "hitch-hiker" clip so you can screw the nose of the lure onto it as you will burst it trying to get it over the weight (see the texas rigged worm at the top).

I don`t use these much from the shore but I do use them 99.99% of the time from my kayak and I know they work. Check out AGM discount fishing for excellent after sales and lots of hard to get items, most of the soft plastic worms and paddle tails etc can be bought from local shops (NETS in particular).

Spend some time reading and watching videos and get out fishing when the water gets warmer because there will be more fish about then than now and you won`t get too disheartened. Finally FFS don`t let the missus find the receipts!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha thanks very much malks. Iv been looking at the savage gear roadrunner xlnt myself because there's some good reviews on it also because it's 4 piece so ideal for climbing around the rocks. Iv just checked out them shimano exage and there pretty cheap for a shimano thanks mate il pm you when i get in from graft thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts