World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Summer from 22nd of july to 10 august im planning on ferry hopping in greece with a couple of friends. I am new to seafishing, but not to freshwater lure fishing. I did some research on Greek islands and there sportfishing from shore, and found barely something of use. I know that greece has been greatly overfished, and fish stocks are very low. I would be planning bringing LightRockFishing gear, for some small predator species, like little groupers... I also have some topwater lures like the Xorus Patchinko 100 for maybe some Seabass or small barracudas? My question is will it be worth focusing throwing bigger medium topwater lures? or should i stick with little shads and jerkbaits? or even just use bait and focus on catching some bream.

Places i will certainly be visiting are: Athens, Kea, Milos, Santorini, etc...

If someone has any kind of experience or knowledge that can help me i would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards, Robin

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
This might be of some use. I was in crete and corfu a couple of years ago. If your after small species it was teaming with them. Various wrasse, bream and mullet.
I didnt know how to tackle them or even what to expect when i went out. I took soft baits but with their small mouths they just sucked it off. I ended up using bread from the restraunt. Rolling it onto the hook. Id get a bite within 3 seconds every cast but only caught 3 in 2 hours.
At the end of the session id thow any left over bread in and every time a shoal of much larger fish would come in and eat it. Looked like bass or huge bream. Couldnt get them to turn up while fishing. If id known id have taken some small plasics and tiny metals.
For bait fishing next time i will use tiny bits of squid.
I only took very light tackle.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It's going to be hot!
The most sought after fish from the shore are Gilthead Bream (tsipura) and Bass (lavraki).
Most of the tackle shops sell various forms of what we would call harbour rag and they are good for both these species. There are harbours and superstructures that will produce several species to float fished baits especially at night. My favourite tactic was a lightly hooked wriggling worm under a float in darkness. There are also mullet around the harbours, some going very big. The locals use a paste made from pellets for them at night with good results.
You can use all the same lures as you would for the bass in the UK and jigs are also worth a try.
You might find bluefish (gofari) as well as bass on lures. If you get bitten off it will have been done by a bluefish.
Tight lines...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's going to be hot!
The most sought after fish from the shore are Gilthead Bream (tsipura) and Bass (lavraki).
Most of the tackle shops sell various forms of what we would call harbour rag and they are good for both these species. There are harbours and superstructures that will produce several species to float fished baits especially at night. My favourite tactic was a lightly hooked wriggling worm under a float in darkness. There are also mullet around the harbours, some going very big. The locals use a paste made from pellets for them at night with good results.
You can use all the same lures as you would for the bass in the UK and jigs are also worth a try.
You might find bluefish (gofari) as well as bass on lures. If you get bitten off it will have been done by a bluefish.
Tight lines...
Thanks you so much for the tips i will definitely use the harbour rag as bait, this gives me a bit more confidence for a nice catch. Everything i read online said u can bearly catch a decent fish on shore in greece 😢. Do you have experience catching bass or bluefish in greece on lures? and is there a line thickness that would prevent the teeths of a bluefish? (like 0.60mm of fluo carbon?)

Kind regards Robin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This might be of some use. I was in crete and corfu a couple of years ago. If your after small species it was teaming with them. Various wrasse, bream and mullet.
I didnt know how to tackle them or even what to expect when i went out. I took soft baits but with their small mouths they just sucked it off. I ended up using bread from the restraunt. Rolling it onto the hook. Id get a bite within 3 seconds every cast but only caught 3 in 2 hours.
At the end of the session id thow any left over bread in and every time a shoal of much larger fish would come in and eat it. Looked like bass or huge bream. Couldnt get them to turn up while fishing. If id known id have taken some small plasics and tiny metals.
For bait fishing next time i will use tiny bits of squid.
I only took very light tackle.
Thanks so much this helps alot, im glad too here there is some fish life in greece. Maybe they were mullets? Ill definitely try some bread and squid... Did you use some kind of float or just bare hook?

Thanks for you reply 😃!

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
Thanks so much this helps alot, im glad too here there is some fish life in greece. Maybe they were mullets? Ill definitely try some bread and squid... Did you use some kind of float or just bare hook?

Thanks for you reply 😃!
Not mullet as they wernt on the surface. These were deep and definately more bream looking. As mentioned earlier, possibly guilts.
I just used lrf type rigs flicked out or small weighted floats. A buble float will be definately be in my gear next time. Being very buoyant the fish wil hook themselves againt it.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Thanks you so much for the tips i will definitely use the harbour rag as bait, this gives me a bit more confidence for a nice catch. Everything i read online said u can bearly catch a decent fish on shore in greece 😢. Do you have experience catching bass or bluefish in greece on lures? and is there a line thickness that would prevent the teeths of a bluefish? (like 0.60mm of fluo carbon?)

Kind regards Robin.
I caught bass on lures (rapalas) and both bass and bluefish on floatfished livebaits (sardine size of fish called frisas if I remember correctly). I kept being bitten off until I realised that there were bluefish present after I managed to lip hook one and land it.
The worms are similar to small ragworm but I think they call them "Koreans" and "Americans".
Bluefish will bite through just about any diameter of mono, so a wire trace is essential if they are being expected and targetted.
I heard that barracuda and bonito can also be taken in Greece although I never saw any being caught.
A Greek angler used to post on WSF so he may see your thread any reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I caught bass on lures (rapalas) and both bass and bluefish on floatfished livebaits (sardine size of fish called frisas if I remember correctly). I kept being bitten off until I realised that there were bluefish present after I managed to lip hook one and land it.
The worms are similar to small ragworm but I think they call them "Koreans" and "Americans".
Bluefish will bite through just about any diameter of mono, so a wire trace is essential if they are being expected and targetted.
I heard that barracuda and bonito can also be taken in Greece although I never saw any being caught.
A Greek angler used to post on WSF so he may see your thread any reply.
Can i ask you where you went in greece? Thanks alot for the further info, i hope that greek angler sees this!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Can i ask you where you went in greece? Thanks alot for the further info, i hope that greek angler sees this!
I worked all over Greece. There are harbours everywhere.
I didn't manage to fish in every location but I particularly remember having my bass and bluefish expertly grilled by a taverna for the crew in Preveza. The area is a large inland sea off the Adriatic/Ionian sea. The small fish were being chased out of the water onto the walkway around the waterfront. I had a bucket of water ready and had to compete with the locals for the frisas that were put straight back into the water below a float.
Lefkada is one of the most popular tourisism destinations in the area.The beaches to the north of Preveza hold bass and gilthead bream.
Lots of fishing opportunities in the area as you can see on Google Earth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.