World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly estuary fish with 2-4oz bass rods or lure rods and so don't have too much knowledge on the larger heavier rods. I'm looking to diversify my fishing and hope to fish more clean/mixed beaches targeting rays, hounds etc but would also like to target huss and conger over rough ground occasionally. I have been offered an Ion Golds Extractor or a Greys Syntra. Was just wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on which one they think would better suit my situation. Any info would be much appreciated :)

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never tried the Extractor but the Greys Syntra's are superb rods, clean to mixed ground IMO, fantastic tip, and look stunning !
Thanks for the advice Tim. Do you think they could handle slightly rougher ground every now and then or would you steer clear from using these rods in that situation?
And I'm guessing the casting distance will be decent?

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Mostly estuary fish with 2-4oz bass rods or lure rods and so don't have too much knowledge on the larger heavier rods. I'm looking to diversify my fishing and hope to fish more clean/mixed beaches targeting rays, hounds etc but would also like to target huss and conger over rough ground occasionally. I have been offered an Ion Golds Extractor or a Greys Syntra. Was just wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on which one they think would better suit my situation. Any info would be much appreciated :)

Cheers
Al
Hiya Al,
I've never used the IG Extractor so can't help there but i have a pair of Syntras i bought new the best part of 20 years ago.
I agree with what @Tim2nd has already said about the Syntras being clean to mixed ground rods & having a really nice tip (they're still my go too rods if i'm fishing a big sea or tide.
I've used mine a good few times fishing over the rough stuff & tbh have never had a problem, they've certainly never felt like they're struggling.
Rick😜

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya Al,
I've never used the IG Extractor so can't help there but i have a pair of Syntras i bought new the best part of 20 years ago.
I agree with what @Tim2nd has already said about the Syntras being clean to mixed ground rods & having a really nice tip (they're still my go too rods if i'm fishing a big sea or tide.
I've used mine a good few times fishing over the rough stuff & tbh have never had a problem, they've certainly never felt like they're struggling.
Rick😜
Hi Rick, thanks for the advice. They seem like a pretty solid choice then. I've been offered one for £150 that's been used three times. From your experience, do you reckon that's a good price or are there better second hand choices out there for that sort of budget?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi TOTGA, as Huss said, the odd bit of rough won't hurt it, regards the £150 price tag, think it's a little steep for a rod that's no longer made think they were £199 new, should knock him down a bit, I would personally pay around £125 max for a mint one, but that's just me !

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi TOTGA, as Huss said, the odd bit of rough won't hurt it, regards the £150 price tag, think it's a little steep for a rod that's no longer made think they were £199 new, should knock him down a bit, I would personally pay around £125 max for a mint one, but that's just me !
Yeh that was on my mind, also few places which still have couple in stock for 179 so was thinking might as well get a new one if I was to get one. Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Hi Rick, thanks for the advice. They seem like a pretty solid choice then. I've been offered one for £150 that's been used three times. From your experience, do you reckon that's a good price or are there better second hand choices out there for that sort of budget?
Hiya Al,
Again i'd pretty much agree with @Tim2nd at around £125 for a good un.
If the places you mentioned do have them in stock at £179 i'd grab one as they've been discontinued for something like 10 years. Though maybe slightly heavier than some of todays rods the butt is less than 26mm dia (i've 25.9mm Abu griplock reel seats on mine) & they'll keep up with any new rod around that price & a lot of rods that are well above that price.
Rick😜

1 - 10 of 10 Posts