World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive just started fishing again after many years and i need some advice on hook sizes and rigs. I get confused over size 1 and 1.0 Aberdeen hooks. Could somebody please explain this, what should i be using to catch good size fish off the beach near Chapel-St-Leonards Lincolnshire, any other local knowledge of how to fish this beach would be appreciated as i have been there nearly a dozen times over the last few months and not caught a thing other than getting stung by a weaver fish which my friend caught.:fishing:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum, If you use the search facility on this forum you will find all the info you need. Tight lines Rob.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the board.

I'm afraid I cannot help with hook sizes or that part of the coastline.

I've also started fishing again last year after a few decades away from the beach, and I too have no understanding of hook sizes, I just buy a range in a tackle shop and then reach for whatever I think is appropriate for the occasion or species I'm targeting. Usually this means a large hook to take a large bait, working on the principle small hooks might catch a big fish but large hooks and baits rarely take the tiddlers (of course they often do, but then the tiddler just adds to a bait something larger might be attracted to.)

Now, I know that's not much use to you, and most are going to have the impression I don't know what I'm doing (and there are many finer points I definitely will be ignorant of, especially rigs as they have come in since I stopped fishing in my youth) but I do probably catch as often as I blank, and I enjoy my time on the beach as much as the next chap despite my ignorance - which to mind is all that really matters!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the welcome and i like to share with you that some of the info on hooks was in this months sea angler. I surpose i just have to keep trying and see what happens. I might even catch a fish or two lol

·
Registered
728 Posts
Summer fishing at Chapel St. Leonards, like most beaches in the area, can be roughly divided into two parts, depending on how far you can or wish to cast. At close range there are flounder to be caught, and also bass, particularly if the water roughs up a little. For flounder a smaller hook is adequate, say a size 2, but give them time and they will swallow a 4/0 in the end. For bass, try a somewhat larger hook, between 1 and 2/0.
If you can put a bait far enough out, there are also smooth hound be caught. Half a crab whipped onto a 2/0 is about right, but you need to be be able to put that hook and bait between 100 and 150 yards out. That is a lot further than you may imagine.
In all cases, your hook size should be matched to your bait, and both bait and hook must be matched to the species you wish to catch. For bass and flatfish around here, ideally you should be using worm. But a lot of teh time the crabs are so numerous that your bait will be stripped in a matter of moments. Squid and peeler crab will last a little longer, or you could try mackerel strip. But whatever you use, unless there are hounds around, the crabs will strip it pretty quick.
All in all, this has not been a bad summer, especially for smooth hounds, but things will change come the autumn. When the whiting arrive there will be plenty to catch at relatively short range, and as the water temperature falls, the crabs will slowly disappear. Then you can use worm with more confidence, on a size 1 hook, maybe be tipped with squid or mackerel. Hopefully there will also be cod to catch as winter approaches, so there is plenty to look forward to. You can use as big a bait as you like for a cod, with a hook to match. Keep reading up about baits and hook sizes, and don't be afraid to experiment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Rod90. Ive been fishing from the point up to Huttoft and yet to catch a thing. Where do you suggest trying?????

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey up me ode pikey budy don't worry just stick with me and i'll show you the ropes :idea: just remember when you next see a ugly brown speckled fish not to grab it and remove it from my hook lol :bleh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts