World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m fairly new to sea fishing and tbh have only caught a small wrasse in Scotland. However I searched the YouTube and got a 15’ beach caster which Is very heavy and the handle is like a tree trunk, I’m not as strong as I used to be so any recommendations on a good rod that is lighter, and what’s the best length?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I have a 15 foot Shakespeare, I went up from a 13 foot and yes they can feel OTT to start with, but after a few trips I got use to it and now wouldn't go back to a smaller rod, just give it more time to get use to it

·
Registered
217 Posts
13 foot is a good all round size to get started with, try looking at PENN rods if you want something that is fairly decent without breaking the bank, nice slim blank but good enough to chuck a 5oz lead plus bait a respectable distance. I used a couple of 13ft PENN rods for years and if you look after them they wont let you down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
13 foot is a good all round size to get started with, try looking at PENN rods if you want something that is fairly decent without breaking the bank, nice slim blank but good enough to chuck a 5oz lead plus bait a respectable distance. I used a couple of 13ft PENN rods for years and if you look after them they wont let you down.
Thanks I’ll look into them, how about Diana sandstorm?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good enough.
There’s so much choice and I’m still dithering around, now looking a Penn Rampage 14’ the cheapest being a 80-120g @ 72 quid and the next 14’ 120-170 is £135, my question is how much further would a 6 oz lead get me over a 4oz And is it worth paying the difference just for 2ozs? I’m planning on coupling it with a Penn surfblaster 3 lc8000.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
There’s so much choice and I’m still dithering around, now looking a Penn Rampage 14’ the cheapest being a 80-120g @ 72 quid and the next 14’ 120-170 is £135, my question is how much further would a 6 oz lead get me over a 4oz And is it worth paying the difference just for 2ozs? I’m planning on coupling it with a Penn surfblaster 3 lc8000.
In my area the south coast the tide can run quite hard so I tend to use a rod 6oz – 8oz, but on big spring tides a 8oz will just hold bottom, most of the time I'm using 6 oz weights but with large baits

·
Joined 2009
16,025 Posts
To me 4oz is more a summer thing, given your location I’d forget anything less than 6oz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my area the south coast the tide can run quite hard so I tend to use a rod 6oz – 8oz, but on big spring tides a 8oz will just hold bottom, most of the time I'm using 6 oz weights but with large baits
To me 4oz is more a summer thing, given your location I’d forget anything less than 6oz
Thanks that’s the way I was thinking and you’ve made my mind up, though I might go with the 13’ as it’s a bit cheaper. The only other rod I’d wondered about is the Akios fury 420 similar price but the Penn has a nic rod case too, agh decisions decisions ?

·
Joined 2009
16,025 Posts
Thanks that’s the way I was thinking and you’ve made my mind up, though I might go with the 13’ as it’s a bit cheaper. The only other rod I’d wondered about is the Akios fury 420 similar price but the Penn has a nic rod case too, agh decisions decisions ?
only used centuries for a long time now, and zziplex, I’d ask for local advice. You can’t beat old fashioned Brit sticks IMO, tough thick walls last a lifetime .
Was a Scot flogging an old WR300 on here I’d have that myself

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi

I bought the Penn rampage 2 13ft a couple of months ago. Really light and forgiving to fish with. Casts well. But still quite powerfull. Paid 105. Gary Evans Newport. I would definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sonik sks black cheap looks alright stiff as a broom stick when it’s choppy it won’t bounce up and down casts 7s with big bait I think a lot of people get it mixed up there’s a massive drifference between a beach rod and a surf rod

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you want 'light' then Daiwa Tournament Surf HT 14' or 15' and Air Surf 15' are as light as they come, but still rigid enough to cast a good distance. However at £250 and £400 respectively, they ain't cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts