World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Wonder if you can give me a bit of advice on braid?
I want to load up my Shimano 8010 with braid for surf flattie and bass work, having never used braid before I'm wondering what brand you would recommend and what breaking strain as I will be fishing with a 3lb test carp rod.
Any help much appreciated

Keith

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
PowerPro is good stuff and I use a 20lb but that might be a bit much for you.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
i,ve used 14lb fireline for close, light work with a 3lb carp rod for about 4 years now. no probs. i use a fixed spool. if your going to be cadting 3oz at range better to put a 30lb leader on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi all
Wonder if you can give me a bit of advice on braid?
I want to load up my Shimano 8010 with braid for surf flattie and bass work, having never used braid before I'm wondering what brand you would recommend and what breaking strain as I will be fishing with a 3lb test carp rod.
Any help much appreciated

Keith
I just read an article date 2000 by Harrison rods yesterday, and he was talking about carp rods, and how most manufacturers use rings (guides) that are too large. And if you are going to use braid, your first guide should not be bigger then a size 20, even a 16 will do. The action of braid coming off a fixed spool reel is quite different then mono. Braid come off in smaller loops and the first guide dissolves the loops into a straight line. I have a Shimano Alivio 3 lb, TC, which was manufactured for the use of mono. I use this rod with braid for sea fishing in Florida. My project when I get back home is to convert the rod from mono to braid. I have bought the guides, and when I get home, I will figure out the reel spool axis to the rod and go from there. google Fuji rod guides and look at their research and diagrams on this subject. I am going to use a Fuji Hardloy equivalent call Pac Bay Hialoys. They work, and they do not show the wear from braid.

About line size either 20, or 30 lb., about the leader size, I always go 50 to 60 lbs. test There are fish with big sharp teeth out there. :secret: :g:

·
Registered
330 Posts
fireline crystal is very good the only drawback is you must double check the knots i use the uni knot with at least 6 turns or loops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts